How To: Replace "Shark Fin" roof antenna, 2006 Envoy [pics]

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
How to: Replace the Roof Mount “Shark Fin” Antenna: 2006 Envoy SWB Denali

A couple years ago I busted the plastic housing of the roof mounted antenna, aka shark fin, on our Envoy with my snow brush. The cold combined with enough snow to have buried the antenna from my sight, and likely a few years of UV damage, allowed the plastic cover to shear off just above its base. I two-part epoxied it which lasted for a couple years until I, ahem, repeated the exercise. In the meantime I had purchased a new antenna so I got right to work replacing it the same day it broke this second time.
IMG_9585.JPG

Here are the replacement steps I did, YMMV.

Tools:

Small flat blade for popping a cover or harness connector apart
#2 Philips screwdriver
T20 torx screw driver
10mm x ¼” drive socket/ratchet (better would be a 10mm ratcheting wrench)

1. On the driver’s A pillar, pop the round cover open that is near the top. This will reveal a Philips screw. The cover is captive to the screw. Remove the screw. IMG_9571.JPG9571

2. Pull the top of the cover away from the pillar. The rubber trim along the outside will resist you a bit. Once pulled away you work it back and forth a bit more. There is spring clip furtherdown the cover that fits into a square hole in the pillar. Once that is free you work the cover out from the dash.
IMG_9575x.JPG 9575 IMG_9574y.JPG9574

3. Unclip the sun visor from the inboard retainer. Remove the torx screw and the retainer.

4. Remove the 3 torx screws that hold the sun visor in place. Carefully lower the sun visor and note that is tethered yet by its wiring harness. It would be improper to let the weight of the sun visor hang and stress its wire harness. I did exactly that anyway and was lucky to have no ill effects.

5. The headliner corner can be lowered now but will be resisted by the same rubbertrim that resisted the A pillar cover. Be careful to not stress the headliner and kink it. At this point you can lower it just enough to slide a hand in, but not much more.

6. Reach in and unlock this red-wire connector to release the sun visor. Hear the harness breathe a sigh of relief as the weight of sun visor is removed.
IMG_9569x.JPG9569

7. These connectors here (next few pics), a single tan/yellow wire and a blue and black wire pair (black is hard to see in this pic), lead to the antenna. Disconnect these. It would be more obvious as to how these connectors release if you could see them better. There is a tab on the underside of each connector that detaches them from the headliner to see easier, bend the tab down and slide it toward you.
IMG_9586.JPG
IMG_9587.JPG
IMG_9588.JPG
IMG_9569z.JPG

The following pic can be referenced for the next few steps"IMG_9568x.JPG9568

8. Once the connectors are apart, use the 10mm to loosen this bolt (red circle). It may be a little difficult to start as there is some thread locker on the threads and likely some corrosion. With the bolt out remove the 3 finger ‘washer’ that the bolt retained against the roof.

9. The base of the antenna has a plastic post that goes through its own hole in the roof (red circle, right side of pic). The post has a pair of tabs/barbs that need to be squeezed together to allow the base of the antenna to pass through the roof. Squeeze these tabs while working the antenna around to release this post, as well as the threaded post the bolt was removed from in previous step, up and through the roof. The plastic post on mine was brittle and broke off in the process. Guide the antenna harnesses out through the roof hole.

10. Use a soft cloth dampened with soapy water and clean the years of grime off the roof around the antenna’s gasket. Avoid getting water through the holes. Wipe dry.

11. Installation is the reverse of removal and should be fairly straight forward. The new antenna should have come with a new 3 finger washer. This washer gets deformed against the roof so you will be tightening the bolt for a bit to compress it and the bolt won’t free spin as it has a thread locker pre- applied, so expect some wrenching time. Recall the rubber trim that fought the dropping of the headliner and removal of the A pillar cover as it will do so for install too. If you're not careful, this edging will be curled up. Also take note of the A pillar cover’s spring clip needing to be properly aligned to its slot during cover installation. Before buttoning things up, test the mirror light, your XM radio, and OnStar if so subscribed.
IMG_9589.JPG

Notes:

I did an extensive 3.5 minute search on my phone for how to lower the headliner and didn’t find instructions other than how to disassemble the entire vehicle in order to completely remove the headliner. So I just winged it. Perhaps a little more investigation/patience/competence might have yielded more working space above the headliner. The way I did that was likely not ideal.

If during the work the plastic adapter for the sun visor mounting falls out, it’s installed in this orientation. 9570
IMG_9570.JPG

I found the antenna harness connectors a pain to work with, but some patience will get you there. I think the large connector had squeeze points and the small one a locking tab. The bigger one was the hardest for me, fought me a lot. A buddy reached in and did it in 3 seconds so likely my incompetence in action, I dunno.

What I believe was the OEM shark fin antenna markings:
IMG_9590.JPG

Special Note on the Replacement Part
My replacement antenna I bought was NOT the same as the OEM one – mine only had the tan/yellow wire, otherwise identical. My fault for not researching it well enough I guess, it was a fleaBay purchase, I think it was $35ish? With a broken antenna to deal with, to avoid snow/ice/water intrusion I elected to install it anyway and deal with it later. Interestingly, XM worked! We don’t subscribe to XM but there is the free channel and it was coming in loud and clear. It is my assumption that the two wires I didn’t have are part of the OnStar system which I also do not subscribe too,and so did not test. This assumption remains not verified – I invite feedback on that point.

I hope this may help someone else. Cheers.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Very good write-up! Added it to the FAQ.

I had researched these a while back when I was dabbling with a Sirius receiver on my JVC HU. The three wires are for cell reception and GPS for the OnStar the the third wire for XM. The XM antenna would have worked with Sirius but a Sirius antenna won't work with XM. I never did go ahead with it as the Sirius receiver died. The three wire fins were more difficult to find and more expensive.

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Thanks for the reply - so I was correct in my assumption, the tan/yellow wire is for the XM, and the other two are as you noted. Cool.

Addendum to my original post - it appeared that I could maybe have swapped the 'guts' from my OE antenna to the new cover possibly. I don't have any very tiny torx bits to try. There are three of these screws, in the pic above showing the sticker on the base you barely see two of them and one barely at all for the dirt on it. They are so tiny that at first glance I thought they were hex.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online