How to: Repair/reinforce Mechanix gloves

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I like Mechanix gloves. Latex gloves just rip all the time and just turn my hands into a sweaty yucky mess. However, they can be costly as they always break in the fingers, primarily the index. It gets expensive real fast.

So I did a quick Google search and came upon this video. Great idea about using iron on patches but he seems to be putting them on the inside of the fingers only and the gloves still looked kinda ratty on the holed fingers.

So I set out to do it better. Picked up some small patches at Walmart for $1.50.

Then, I wanted to reinforce new gloves I already had. Easy enough. Took some patches, cut them to size of the index and middle fingertips and the thumbs. Used the black patches and they turned out great.

Next, to fix the ones with holes. First, wash the gloves multiple times to get all the oil and grease out and dry overnight. Figured I'd use a patch on both sides so that the outer patch would not glue itself to the inside of the glove and make it even stronger. Found it easier to thread the inside patch through the hole rather than trying to push it through the finger itself. Put a properly cut patch inside and outside the hole, put a piece of scrap cloth on top and put the hot iron on it for 30 seconds. So far, so good.

I have yet to test them out working on the car or something but looks like a solid fix. You do lose a bit of feeling on the fingertips but that is the tradeoff for a longer lasting glove.

Oh, and the gloves are not made of any type of leather in the fingers and palm because it does melt if it comes in direct contact with the iron so be sure to cover all parts of where you are ironing with a scrap piece of cloth.

IMG_20181120_193338.jpgIMG_20181120_193629.jpgIMG_20181120_193833.jpgIMG_20181120_194019.jpgIMG_20181120_200028.jpg

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher