How to remove the rear gas tank strap

C-ya

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Driving back to work today from lunch and I hear this awful racket. Sounds like the exhaust broke and was dragging/digging in. Stopped as quickly as I could from 50 mph and pulled to the side of the road. Of course, the grass was a foot tall. I couldn't see any exhaust issues, so I looked at everything else but didn't see anything obvious. I get in and pull forward a bit and hear it again. Get out and look, and I noticed something at the rear of the gas tank. The rear strap had broken and it was rubbing against the rear U-joint/driveshaft.

Luckily I had a ratchet strap so I got the tank somewhat secured and headed on in to work. When I got home, I backed it onto a set of ramps and was able to evaluate it a bit more. I was able to get the outboard side off - the bolt actually released and the nut is still secure. I just can't maneuver the inboard piece that fits into the slot enough to get it out. It shouldn't be too hard, but maybe the rust has shrunk the opening and swollen the tab.

Any ideas on how to get it out since I also have to get the new one in?

gv1yZch.jpg

You can see the shiny ring on the driveshaft. I'm thinking I'll pop the driveshaft off the rear diff and I should have plenty of room.

AOARv4s.jpg

V2wIvVE.jpg

I have doubled the ratchet strap so I'm not worried about it coming loose or breaking before I get the new steel strap. I have a little less than half a tank and I plan on keeping it low until I fix it. I almost filled it up at lunch as gas prices were going up today. I'm glad I didn't!

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Huh...I actually like the idea of the ratchet strap. I'd loosen it to slide the metal ratchet section up on the side of the tank, re-tighten, deem it repaired and have a beer.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Reactions: C-ya

C-ya

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Some Replacements...

Didn't think to check AZ. I found a set from an online GM parts dealer. $58 delivered.

ETA: Those don't fit my truck. Glad I was able to find the others.
EETA (edited the edit to add): They fit a 6 cylinder 113 inch wheelbase. Shouldn't the tank straps be the same? Would that have changed between 6 and 8 cylinder engines? Just for future reference for other users that see this.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrsm

C-ya

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
OK, the place I ordered the tank straps from discovered what everyone else already knew - the rear strap is discontinued. I guess I'll be checking the ones from Auto Zone.

From the above post in case folks don't see it since it is an old post:
AZ website says they fit a 6 cylinder 113 inch wheelbase. Shouldn't the tank straps be the same? Would that have changed between 6 and 8 cylinder engines? It also says 22 gal tank on the Spectra model. The Dormans don't say a tank size.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They should be the same between the two. In fact, it's the same pump. Differences are between the SWB and EXT.

I replaced one on my Saab that was bent. They were too expensive for my liking so got a good used one at the u-pull.

Reactions: mrrsm and C-ya

C-ya

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
They should be the same between the two. In fact, it's the same pump. Differences are between the SWB and EXT.

I replaced one on my Saab that was bent. They were too expensive for my liking so got a good used one at the u-pull.

That's what I was thinking - why would there be two different EXT tanks? I'll get the ones from AZ and see what happens. The Spectra straps have a two year warranty, which is how much longer I want to get out of the old girl - if she holds together that long!

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

C-ya

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Painted the new straps Thursday and got the rear one replaced yesterday. Decided the front is still intact enough to not worry with it at the moment. Removing the driveshaft from the yoke was the ticket to getting the old one out and the new one in.

Here is what the old strap looked like alongside the new one. The new one seems to be a bit thinner, probably why it only has a 2 year warranty.

zYssCoIl.jpg

Not a lot to work with, for sure.

xd1wHckl.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online