how to remove oil pickup tube bolt??

mark'stb

Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
I give up. Is there a secret to removing the oil pickup tube bolt from the oil pump without loosening or removing the oil pan? I can't for the life of me figure out how to access it. Why GM would use the bolt hole they did and not the other threaded hole in the pump like Corvette uses.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It can be done. I used a wrench at first and then a pair of forceps to finish. Got the idea from this video (start at 8:17 for pertinent info):

And if yours is like mine, the tab is welded and you'll have to use either some washers to hold the pipe using that other bolt hole or get a special bracket like this:

I have some pics somewhere on my phone of the washer setup but I'd recommend that bracket instead.

mark'stb

Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Interesting.....I'll have to look at doing this tomorrow. Thanks for the link for the hold down brace. Improved Racing makes a similar product. Your thoughts on using only the brace without also using the factory bolt. I saw another video where the guy loosened the pan and dropped it about an inch to access the bolt. This kind of scares me on breaking the silicone sealer in the rear pan corners at the rear cover.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's what I did with washers. In the video, he only used the one bolt. You might be able to put it back using the forceps but I think getting it started would be almost impossible. I wouldn't drop the pan at all. When I redid the oil pump, The washers and bolt had been holding fine. With that brace it would be a little more insurance but I would be confident with that alone.

BTW, if replacing the oil pump, be sure to use a DOD version which is high volume and pressure. I put in a regular LS pump and suffered from low oil pressure.

mark'stb

Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
How did you get to that bolt? I can't get any any my 6 or so different 10mm wrenches on it. The video showing rotating the mounting flange 180* won't work for me- the flange is welded to the tube. Improved Racing also sells these braces and they emailed back saying NOT to use only the brace. It needs to be used along with the stock bolt. I did order one from the link you posted. Just what I want to do- drop a 4wd TB oil pan. If the geniuses at GM designed the tube using the other bolt hole, I would be going back together instead of spending way, way, way too many hours for one bolt.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
IIRC, I used the open end of the wrench.

As for using that brace by itself, I think they are just CYA'ing themselves because it's not designed for that. There's no force on the tube to make the brace fail. It just holds it there. If you look at the other brace I posted, one guy did use it for this and posted a video.

mark'stb

Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
I git the bolt out. A lot of work removing the oil pan for one bolt. Good news is, the pickup screen is nice and clean although I am going to replace it along with the diff side seals.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online