How to remove front brake caliper guide pin boots?

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
I'm not sure if they're glued or something else but I snapped the boot trying to get them out so I'm not sure if we should use heat or something else to get the metal part out. Anyone has experience with that? Thanks!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
The stock ones are held in by an insert (for want of a better word) that pretty much can't be taken out. If you've torn the boots then you're basically pharked. I ran mine like that for a year or two and ended up replacing the front calipers because they were toast anyway.

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
The stock ones are held in by an insert (for want of a better word) that pretty much can't be taken out. If you've torn the boots then you're basically pharked.

Well that sucks lol. I bought replacement online so I thought it is .... replaceable.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Watch this Video from Eric "O" at the YT South Main Auto Channel from around 20:30 onward of this 40 Minute Wheel Hub and Front Brake Rebuild production. He shows exactly what you'll need to do to R&R the Old, Damage Silicone Rubber Boot Plugs on GM & GMC Front Brake Caliper Brackets:

Reactions: Gunner and Mooseman

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
Watch this Video from Eric "O" at the YT South Main Auto Channel from around 20:30 onward of this 40 Minute Wheel Hub and Front Brake Rebuild production. He shows exactly what you'll need to do to R&R the Old, Damage Silicone Rubber Boot Plugs on GM & GMC Front Brake Caliper Brackets:

Thank you!! Seen this before but couldn't remember for the life of me what to search for! So basically hammer it out with a chisel or something

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Roger That... Exactly... A Ball Peen Hammer and the Right Size Cold Chisel will do the trick. Fixing the Bracket in a Vise would not hurt for controlling the thing while you Fram on them to get 'em out... and then head right back to the Bench so you don't have to Beat the Rims and Edges in place with a 19mm Socket sideways with the Bracket held in the Vise.

Mind that the Silicone Rubber Boot segments don't accidentally get wedged in between the Bottom of the Socket and the Outer Flange Edge of the Bracket... they ARE Slippery Devils and WILL try to poke their way out while you work on them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online

No members online now.