How to remove charcoal canister 03 gmc envoy

Chasedw2

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Florida
I need some assistance. I have a clogged canister and need to replace. I've looked at all data. Com for procedure. Not real clear how the front clips work. I see the insert for the screwdriver but do you release a locking tab by doing that or is it just a way to pry. So if I stick screwdriver in all I have to do is use considerable force applied towsrd center, toward the canister and it should pop out. Then slide it to rear to release from remaining clip. If you have pics or how to that whould be great.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Try prying GENTLY along the Clip Edges with a Wide Blade Screw Driver and avoid allowing the sharp edges of the Blade to puncture into the ordinarily tough Black Plastic Canister Body.

I found it necessary to remove the Transmission Cross-member for the R&R of the 4L60E Transmission of my 2002 TB back in 2014, but the Charcoal Canister was in the way. I used this very same slow, deliberate method to pry and pop the Canister Out of its Mount and later used my feet to re-insert it with considerable necessary pressure to get it to go back in place. Use a Bright Flashlight to ensure how everything is oriented under there before you begin. If you have any other Questions regarding how things are situated... Take some Digital Images of the areas in question and Post them up back here in your next reply.

Avoid being too aggresive and risk damaging the Canister Piping Connections.IIRC... It was unnecessary to undo the lines to it in my case for additional Mount Bolt Clearance. Before you actually perform this task, please inquire of other Members for some alternative EVAP solutions that might diagnose a Different Problem that may make doing this laborious task unnecessary. If the R&R is an absolute requirement and you cannot get it to budge... Professional Removal and Installation with a New GM OEM Canister may prove necessary with the Labor Cost being almost as high as the Brand New Charcoal Canister will be.

Chasedw2

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Florida
Now that's why I like this forum. Thx so much for detailed explanation. I'm having hard fill up problems. I'm aware of tech bulliten an have replaced fill tubes. No luck blew out every line, replaced both valves assiciated with evap system. I've actually checked canister and seems okay. I was just hoping it would be easily removed. Only thing I can think of is the parts I ordered off Amazon are wrong. The tech bulliten specifies 2 different part numbers for the one tube depending on if 02 or 03 and other if 04. Amazon just has one part number listed for all years. I can't imagine the two pipes are that different.. I have the Amazon pipe with the right part number on its way to to me now. I will let ya know.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Okay... we're glad to have you as an Active Member, Brother. You might try looking at the many posts shown on this Link (For Privacy purposes...I use the DuckDuckGo Web Browser vs. Google or Chrome) ...as further down the page, the very symptoms you describe with problems during Fueling are covered here at GMTN:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86