How to pull front shafts

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
How do I pull this axle? Any help appreciated. (Driver's side)

I've tried:

5lb pull hammer (nope)
Pry bar (nope)
Pipe and 2.5lb sledge (nope)

What am I missing?

fr1.JPG

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Out of the Diff?

I got behind it with a jack handle, and while maintaining pressure on it, hit the handle until I saw the axle moved. While still maintaining pressure, pulled the axle out.

Reactions: Matt

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Yeah, removing it from the diff.

So, you got behind it how exactly?

Did you use the handle like a punch, and just hammer the axle out from the back

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
From underneath, between the gap inbetween the diff and the frame.

Yeap, pretty much just like a punch

Its either that, or see if you can locate a CV Axle removal tool. But at 100 bucks or so...

Cheapest one I can find, and I dont know how well it works.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I think the same rule applies with them, as I mentioned above, you have to maintain constant pressure thru the hole process, which isnt always easy, especially when dealing with a slide hammer.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This video shows how to use a punch or drift and a sledge hammer. He also uses a large pickle fork but maybe a smaller one for balljoints or a large chisel punch might work for putting pressure on it. I've never had to do that, only hitting it from behind worked for me.

Video is already cued to relevant spot.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
The easiest way is to hit the metal area of the tripot from behind. I'm doing this right now on my own truck. Here's a pic of the P/S area where you want to drive (use a long pry bar, flat screwdriver, what have you, as long as it's sturdy). The D/S will be similar. It's just a internal c-clip on the shaft that holds it in.

Hit_It_Here.jpg
The red arrow shows the best place (basically, at the bottom). Turn the axle as needed, to give the entire circumference a whack or two. Use the BFH.
(note that this pic shows the axle *after* it has been driven free of the diff (or, in this case, the P/S disconnect)

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I had success with the borrowed cv axle puller attachment to the five pound slide hammer. It was difficult because the shaft of the slide hammer is too short for this application. Also the five pounds is barely enough - I think seven pounds would be better.

Reactions: coolride

Jul 24, 2012
I struggled until I had a helper pull on the end while I banged on the tripot.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I can tell you what I did (last night) with complete success.

I left the CV Axle connected to the spindle, and after removing the brake caliper, and getting it hanging in a safe spot, getting the ABS wire disconnected and out of the way, and knocking out the Tie Rod End, I removed the top ball joint nut, and got it out of the UCA. This is with the nut loose, but still attached to the cv axle end on the spindle side. So after you do all this, the will cause the assembly (Spindle, CV Axle end, Brake Rotor, and spindle mount) to rotate outward on the lower ball joint, and pull on the inner cv axle.

I then got behind the inside CV axle tri-pot, and hit it with a jack handle and hammer. It popped right out.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Added this thread to the Drivetrain FAQ. Lots of good info here.

One method I also discovered, because I didn't feel like disconnecting a balljoint, was to remove the bearing hub after removing the brakes. I can change a hub in 30 minutes flat so this is a good option.

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Day off from work. Headed to Lowe's and planning to pick up some chain.

I'll loop it around the back of the axle and then connect it to the slide hammer.

Because this slide hammer is just too short. The strut is in the way.

Nylon webbing strap might work too. Tie it around the tri-pot and then loop the other end around my back (pull the axle out with leg power.)

Last edited:

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Chain was a decent enough idea, but the nylon webbing idea didn't half suck. So before I ran to Lowe's for new stuff, I gave the straps a try.

I have a pile of this stuff.
fr2.JPG

With a few wraps, It held tight around the back of the axle. Out and around the strut,,,then I started to ratchet in the slack. This really did hold a lot of tension.
fr4.JPG

At this stage, I rolled under the TB and hammered. The axle wasn't moving though. I added a few wedges between the pipe and the frame, this held the pipe in position so that I could hammer with both hands.
fr5.JPG

Maybe the strap put too much sideways pressure on the axle, and that prevented it from releasing. I removed the strap and went back to just hammering.

I jumped up in hammer size from 2.5 to 4 lbs. The wedges held the pipe better than I could, and I went crazy whaling on it. SUCCESS!
fr6.JPG

I'm guessing that a 4 lbs hammer is the minimum. 5 lbs would be better. And the wedges (did a great job.)
fr7.JPG

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yessir.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Um, yeah. It has chunks missing. If the bearing looks fine, don't bother with it. You should also pull the disconnect and check for leakage from the inner seal. Not a bad idea to also take the disconnect apart, check for wear, clean and repack with grease along with some new seals.

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Can anyone confirm this is the correct part number for the seal?

ACDelco 19340249​

For some reason I'm having trouble with this.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
This is what I found for my 06..

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Can anyone confirm this is the correct part number for the seal?

ACDelco 19340249​

For some reason I'm having trouble with this.
That appears to be a crank shaft seal

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think I found it. Online GM microfiches show full size truck front diffs and most part numbers discontinued and RA has some of them in the brake and wheel hub section and others in the front diff section.

Had to cross reference between RA and GMPD. Seems to be 19257296 and confirmed by GMPD according to the description.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nah, a piece of wood and hammer will work.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Nah, a piece of wood and hammer will work.

Seconded. I picked up a seal driver kit from HF on closeout a few mos ago, and finally used it on my trans tailpiece seal on the Sierra a few weeks back.

Even with dedicated tool, and workpiece out of the vehicle, I *still* had to finish the new seal off with a couple of extra taps w/o the driver.

Spend the money on a seal puller, if you don't have one. Those are actually helpful / time saving / damage-sparing.

Wood is cheap & effective. ;-)

Brian K

Apr 5, 2012
At 170K miles, I just changed both CV axles because PS outboard rubber boot cracked and grease was being sprayed out on the suspension so it was time. I watched the A1Auto video on YT and a few others. I did what they showed and knocked it out with a crowbar and a hammer. Got the crowbar positioned near the inside joint and with a swift smack it popped out. Came out pretty easy. One thing I did differently than most videos showed to actually remove the CV axle was to remove the bearing. This provided more room to wiggle the axle out and not damage the seals (hopefully). Installation was trickier than mentioned - it took a long time of putting it in and not sliding right in because I don't think the splines were aligned properly. Once aligned, it did just slid in. At first I tried hammering it (gently), pushing it in with the suspension, etc but nothing worked other than insert/remove/twist repeat lots. Glad to have it done now and things seem quieter now.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So I watched a video recently on someone working on a v8 Denali. For removing the CV axles, he removed the outside axle nut, and verified that it was loose in the hub splines, but left it completely in there. He then did what I did above, about the ABS wire and brake hose making it so they have enough slack. Then he removed the upper bolt joint capture nut, and let the spindle balance on the lower ball joint.

I then popped the inner CV axle tri-pot out, and completely removed it from the diff. Then pulled it out of the hub.

The end in the differential is shorter than the hub, so it can be done this way. Had much success doing it this way on my Envoy.

Hope that makes sense.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove