How To: Program a key Fob on Select GMTs

JRTAHOE

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Summary: How to a key Fob on Select GMTs
Difficulty: Easy
Estimated Time: 2-5 Min
Part Numbers: 15008008 or 15008009
Cost: $13-$30 (From eBay) $50-$75 (From Dealership)

Supplies Needed:

• Your Truck Keys
• Any and all Key Fobs you need programmed to the truck

In this article, I’m going to demonstrate how program a key fob to your GMT instead of paying the Dealership an average of $50 to program the Key Fob, which is less than a 5 minute job.

4e933c54.jpg

10.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10-1.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

I hope this article helps some of you guys out that want to have an extra FOB laying around just in case. It's so much simpler then to spend 3 minutes doing it yourself then going to a dealer who will charge you $50 for something that "Will take half an hour".

I will also edit to include a video that I did if the actual programming since I know some people are more visual learners. I will edit this a soon as photo bucket loads it. It may not be until tomorrow at this speed.

If you guys have any questions, post it up or PM. :cool:

JRTAHOE

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ok, not sure if the video will be included in this or not. The damn thing is taking forever to upload so we will see.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
ok this is probably a stupid question but here it goes..

i have only one key i got with the car. and keyfob say 2 on it

now my seat memory button two for some reason stopped working so i cannot reporgram the seat position.

so my gf had 2 programmed to her by accident instead of using one.

so now everytime i start the car it freaking goes to her setting.

will this procedure allow me to make my number 2 labeled key fob my number one key so it uses number one seat recall setting and button?????

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If you want to take control over the settings and freeze her out, then just set things to your liking, hold down the #2 button until it beeps twice, and then your settings will work with fob 2.

Roadie's Relationship Advice: Take note that seat memory functions are like toilet seats. The women like it to be left in THEIR desired position, not yours. :biggrin:

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read your post closely enough. Are you sure the #2 button doesn't work if you hold it down long enough? Have you disassembled the switch assembly in the door to clean up the rubberized contacts and try to fix it?

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
the roadie said:
If you want to take control over the settings and freeze her out, then just set things to your liking, hold down the #2 button until it beeps twice, and then your settings will work with fob 2.

Roadie's Relationship Advice: Take note that seat memory functions are like toilet seats. The women like it to be left in THEIR desired position, not yours. :biggrin:

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read your post closely enough. Are you sure the #2 button doesn't work if you hold it down long enough? Have you disassembled the switch assembly in the door to clean up the rubberized contacts and try to fix it?

I hold it forever no beeps of any sort.

I have visually inspected it I'll check contacts again.

I just thought it'd be easier to program 2 key to make it number one as 2 setting doesn't get used gf doesnt drive it anymore.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
so i attempted the reprogram hoping it might just program it as number 1

didnt happen

so i took apart the switch inside and cleaned contacts where rubber contact was clean

where the wires are soddered looked to be some corrosion tried to clean some of that away but didnt have much to clean it with at my work so will try again later....

any ideas what else could cause the button not to work???? i checked the wire from switch to plug looks fine to me...

when i put key in it will return seat to number 2 memory because its number 2 key so that end of it works its able to recieve number 2 signal just button wont send it

02Envoy02

Mar 10, 2015
FYI, I switched out my Lift Gate Module (LGM) for a used one I picked up in a junkyard. Everything worked except the keyless entry (also called remote or FOB or transmitter). Although I didn't read it anywhere it occurred to me that the keyless entry likely wasn't working because it wasn't communicating with the new LGM; therefore, the keyless entry needs to be reprogrammed per this article/topic. I reprogrammed it and it indeed works now. BUT, I have a couple of comments on this article where I ran into a bit of trouble ...

In the article instructions, note where it says "...you will now move your key in the ignition from the Start position to the run position..." that "Start" is actually the "Off" position. It is correct in the photos/instructions that follow. Sorry to seem picky but we novices tend to follow instructions to the letter.

When I followed these instructions everything worked as stated except when I got to the end my keyless entry still wouldn't work. Tried it again, still wouldn't work. So, I dug out the attached from the free manuals that someone here made available (THANKS) and discovered a last step missing from the instructions in this article. After you have finished programming the keyless entry you must turn the key to "Run" in order to exit the programming mode. Tried this and voila -- works perfectly now! I had been just pulling the key out of the ignition and the keyless entry wouldn't work. I suppose if you didn't turn the key to "Run" right away it might still complete the keyless entry programming next time you happened to put the key in and turn it to "Run," don't really know.

One comment on the attached if you decide to use that instead of these article instructions ... Step 3 refers to the switch on the driver's side door armrest, not on the keyless transmitter as I found out.

If anyone finds any mistakes in anything I added here, please correct them.

View attachment Programming-Your-Key-Fob.pdf

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online