How to install this type of rocker switch

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You'll need either a hole saw (easier if you have one), or a Dremel to cut a hole and clean up the edges so the switch can fit through it, and the secure it from the back side with the ring/nut in the picture.

Edit: Where do you plan to install this at? Overhead? Headlight switch? Somewhere else?

Bscfrank914

Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Blckshdw said:
You'll need either a hole saw (easier if you have one), or a Dremel to cut a hole and clean up the edges so the switch can fit through it, and the secure it from the back side with the ring/nut in the picture.

Edit: Where do you plan to install this at? Overhead? Headlight switch? Somewhere else?
I do have a hole saw, And I plan on putting the switch overhead, right near my switch for the sunroof.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
There's a good bit of clearance up there, so you shouldn't have any issues there. As long as the hole allows the threaded shaft to fit, but doesn't show around the rectangular bezel, it should look pretty seamless.

You gonna wire the indicator light to the parking light circuit so it comes on with everything else at night? Or with the function itself, so you know when the aux lights are on or not? Any plans for an ignition trigger to ensure you can't leave them on by accident and kill your battery?

**my mod bug was tinkering with projectors this weekend, so my wheels have been turning with regards to hooking up lights**

Bscfrank914

Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Blckshdw said:
There's a good bit of clearance up there, so you shouldn't have any issues there. As long as the hole allows the threaded shaft to fit, but doesn't show around the rectangular bezel, it should look pretty seamless.

You gonna wire the indicator light to the parking light circuit so it comes on with everything else at night? Or with the function itself, so you know when the aux lights are on or not? Any plans for an ignition trigger to ensure you can't leave them on by accident and kill your battery?

**my mod bug was tinkering with projectors this weekend, so my wheels have been turning with regards to hooking up lights**
I plan on wiring it up to the function itself, only having the led light turn on when the lights are on. I also didn't plan on an ignition trigger because I feel like the lights will be so bright that I would recognize if they were on or not, so no need to go crazy and doing the ignition trigger you know?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
As long as you (or someone else) don't turn them on during the day for some reason, forget to turn them off, and walk away... :banghead:

Bscfrank914

Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Blckshdw said:
As long as you (or someone else) don't turn them on during the day for some reason, forget to turn them off, and walk away... :Banghead:
Haha I hope that wont be the case. Anyways I just looked online to see if they had a wiring diagram for the switch, because it has 4 connectors in the back. Any suggestions to what the fourth one is?
sku_107741_3.jpg

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
What are the pin numbers on it? The fourth could be a second "on" circuit so you can turn two things on. That or two pins are for the switching function and two pins power the light on it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The pins will be labelled what they are for when you get the package open. Sometimes there will be a wiring diagram on the back. The momentary buttons I bought for my DIC cluster mod hadd 5 pins on the back. I am guessing yours are +/- for the LED in the switch, and the 2 contacts for the actual circuit that feed into the switch. Since it's a toggle style, the NO/NC is determined by the switch position so you don't need a 5th pin like a momentary switch would.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
And if there isn't a diagram in the package, use your meter on resistance or continuity scale to investigate how the pins work. Harbor Freight has meters for free all the way up to $5, so I consider one to be a required glove box item in all my vehicles.

Bscfrank914

Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Alright guys,
So ive been swamped with a lot since Decemeber, and havent even had the time to install anything. I did recieve my light switch, however it did not include a wiring diagram. Here is the back of the switch. My LED light's have only three connectors. I still am at a loss as to how I should wire the switch. Here's a pic of the back of my light switch.
light switch.JPG
Thanks guys,
Frank-

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.