how to install load resistors

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
How do we install load resistors for the rear and front turn signals for leds; which wires? if we were to put leds in all four blinker sockets is load resistors just in the front or back good enough?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If you calculate it properly, you only need one, and it can go across the two wires at ANY lamp, or even at the flasher module where they ultimately end up. But most folks do it at a lamp, I think. Think of it was a substitute for a lamp, to fool the flasher module into thinking it still has incandescent lamps connected to it.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
the roadie said:
If you calculate it properly, you only need one, and it can go across the two wires at ANY lamp, or even at the flasher module where they ultimately end up. But most folks do it at a lamp, I think. Think of it was a substitute for a lamp, to fool the flasher module into thinking it still has incandescent lamps connected to it.

Thanks man.
There's like 10 wires on the rear and i wanted to install than inside the rear fender. Ill just use my ommmmmmmm meter and get R done.:rolleyes:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Yea, I just used 2 3 ohm resistors at the front turn signals (one on each side) and all has been fine for me.. I have front switchbacks, and rear led's...

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Like Juan above, I used 2 3ohm load resistors but I wired them in rear. I would suggest soldering them rather than using butt or spade connectors.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Matt said:
Like Juan above, I used 2 3ohm load resistors but I wired them in rear. I would suggest soldering them rather than using butt or spade connectors.

I frown at spade or crimp connectors.:biggrin:

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
the roadie said:
Trailvoy mods and admins would heartily recommend spade and crimp connectors. If there WERE any mods anymore.

TrailVoy can **** *n ** left ***. Than c***e ** a **** ****.

kmb

Oct 21, 2012
Do these LED specific flasher relays actually work? I'd like to avoid messing with wiring if possible.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
kmb said:
Do these LED specific flasher relays actually work? I'd like to avoid messing with wiring if possible.

Link ?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
kmb said:

Ghost said:

Here's a link to one, I got mine off RockAuto for $35. One member opened one up and compared it to a stock one to see what was different, I can't find the thread with the details. I can't say it works 100% as my Depo LED tails have built in load resistors in them. When I bought my switchbacks, I got the flasher module so they wouldn't hyperflash. They did with the stock module, they don't with the LED module. I don't have any LED bulbs to stick in the stock tails to test them all together though :frown:

kmb

Oct 21, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Here's a link to one, I got mine off RockAuto for $35. One member opened one up and compared it to a stock one to see what was different, I can't find the thread with the details. I can't say it works 100% as my Depo LED tails have built in load resistors in them. When I bought my switchbacks, I got the flasher module so they wouldn't hyperflash. They did with the stock module, they don't with the LED module. I don't have any LED bulbs to stick in the stock tails to test them all together though :frown:

This ^^^ is the site I was looking at.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online

No members online now.