how to get this tube into the F******ing fitting?

chatham

Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
last week I took on the task of replacing the transmission cooler lines in 2002 Envoy. no big problems getting everything out. followed the write ups here and the shop manual. lowered tranny, etc. etc. my problem is how the hell do i get the upper line into the fitting on the side of the tranny? i have tried everything i can think of. my hands, cant push hard enough in the space i have to work with, using jiffy clip removal tool to allow better force/leverage, pry bar, nothing is working. i just cant get it to "pop" into the fitting. whats the seceret???

its just the upper line, the lower line is not a problem i have had it in and out several times. i just cant get the force/leverage to pop the upper one in.

IMG_6311.JPG

Reactions: coolride

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I think you'll either have to lower the trans a few more inches. Which might require you to remove the driveshaft. Or you could try a block of wood with/without a large screwdriver/prybar.

Unless someone else has a better idea.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
You can unthread the trans adapter push it on where you have room then re-install... the fitting just floats on the tube. Check with others before though... there my be a hidden washer inside the trans too.

Reactions: Mooseman

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I had the same problem, but with the lower line. your best bet is to remove the line and clip and wipe out inside the fitting with a piece of paper towel or rag. Next wipe off the end of the tube and reinstall the clip. Apply a little bit of transmission fluid to the end of the tube and it should pop right in. Make sure your pipe is going straight in if it's tilted at all it won't go in.
Also be sure your clips aren't damaged.

Last edited:

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Take a 1 inch length of heavy rubber hose. (Like fuel hose.) And slice it open so that it will fit over the transmission line. Then take a couple small hose clamps and tighten them over the rubber hose. Now you have something to push against (the end of the rubber hose.) Push on the hose end with whatever you can find (the forked end of a pry bar maybe.) This might help, just an idea.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Observe the VOP (Video Original Poster) from around 10:00 into this Trailblazer Trans-Cooler Line R&R How To Video for his "Trick" to gain enough access and mechanical advantage to manipulate the Transmission Lines Off ...and On:

Last edited:
Reactions: Blckshdw

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I recently replaced my cooler lines and the trans connections were a major pita.

I left the driveshaft in place and lowered the tail shaft by loosening the crossmember but left the two bolts on the driver side facing up in place but backed out halfway.

I was able to access the tubes from behind the crossmember reaching forward.

Placing the vehicle high on jackstands was essential if you dont have a lift.

chatham

Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
after hours of trying to get a tube into that fitting ( I tried new tubes, old tubes ) none of them would go in. wtf... how come the old one (cutoff) wont go back in. so I took the fitting off the tranny and sure enough if you look at the picture at the top you can see that it is just flattened out, I mean just barely. not sure how I did but it is enough that nothing will go in. got a new fitting and wham bam thank you mam it went in. so if youre having the trouble I had, pull the fitting and test it out of the vehicle.
IMG_63142.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online