How to Flush your Brakes Completely

dogfish246

Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Hey guys,

This is my latest video on How To Flush and Bleed Your Brakes. Although I used my pickup truck for this video this will apply to any car or truck so I thought sharing it here would be helpful. Brake fluid absorbs water so after about 3 years you should flush them. While I know of no one who flushes their fluid that often I figured after 14 years I should flush them out lol.

So when was the last time you flushed your brake fluid? I am curious how often others do this...

Let me know what you think!
**Also, if the video was helpful, give it a “thumbs up” on YouTube (it helps me out, thanks)***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1NvtUwfRJc

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Awesome vid. Never ever flushed brakes before. Never had any of my cars long enough to. This is the first how to I watched and it was amazing. The clarity and in depth was great awesome job dog

Reactions: Mounce

Rogue92

Apr 19, 2014
Subscribing...thanks for making!

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
dogfish246 said:
So when was the last time you flushed your brake fluid? I am curious how often others do this...
Never, or when a leak is fixed and the system is refilled, whichever comes first.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Great video. The only additional step I took was removing the reservoir and cleaning it out with brake cleaner. There was gunk stuck to the sides of the plastic. I did that to really eliminate the dirt. Otherwise awesome video!

Reactions: dmanns67

dogfish246

Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
07TrailyLS said:
Awesome vid. Never ever flushed brakes before. Never had any of my cars long enough to. This is the first how to I watched and it was amazing. The clarity and in depth was great awesome job dog
Thanks man! I hope I set high standards to the "how to" videos on YouTube lol!

dmanns67 said:
Subscribed. Great video.
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback!

Rogue92 said:
Subscribing...thanks for making!
Thanks and no problem!

MAY03LT said:
Never, or when a leak is fixed and the system is refilled, whichever comes first.
That is a common answer. Seems like not many people do this service at all unless there is a problem.

dmanns67 said:
I flushed my brakes at 70k miles and around 138k miles after I installed my BrakeMotive d/s rotors and ceramic pads.
That is probably how often I use to flush my brakes. I never really did it unless the fluid was dark or I had to service my brakes.
triz said:
Great video. The only additional step I took was removing the reservoir and cleaning it out with brake cleaner. There was gunk stuck to the sides of the plastic. I did that to really eliminate the dirt. Otherwise awesome video!
Thanks for the tip! I really tried to keep it simple. If I was to remove the reservoir it would be a lot more complicated for people and in reality, it wasnt dirty enough in my book to do that. But that is def a good tip for someone who has a dirty master cylinder! Thanks!

BlazingTrails said:
I flushed mine when I installed all new brakes and rotors. I usually only flush them if the fluid is discolored.
That is a good method. You figure that is ever 3yrs or so and you are already down there working on the brakes!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Good video. Well done and informative.

Just one comment. In the past, when I tried to do the one person method, my brakes would get soft because air would get sucked in by the threads of the bleeder. Sometimes using teflon tape helped but only if I didn't tighten and back off the bleeder. So I just don't bother with it and only use the two person method. I even got my kids to do it for me.

This was quite a few years ago (70's, 80's cars) and quite possibly the threads were coarser that would allow air in. Maybe with the finer threads, this has been eliminated.

Reactions: dmanns67 and Mounce

dogfish246

Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Mooseman said:
Good video. Well done and informative.

Just one comment. In the past, when I tried to do the one person method, my brakes would get soft because air would get sucked in by the threads of the bleeder. Sometimes using teflon tape helped but only if I didn't tighten and back off the bleeder. So I just don't bother with it and only use the two person method. I even got my kids to do it for me.

This was quite a few years ago (70's, 80's cars) and quite possibly the threads were coarser that would allow air in. Maybe with the finer threads, this has been eliminated.
I have never had this problem. Maybe the threads today have much better tolerances? Or maybe you loosened the bleeder valve a little too much (I just crack it). Who knows. Interesting though.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I do remember the threads being much coarser so that probably had something to do with it. I just gave up using it.

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Dude this is awesome i have been subscribed for like a year! And Didnt know it was one of our guys[emoji106]

Reactions: Rogue92

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
ghenny440 said:
Dude this is awesome i have been subscribed for like a year! And Didnt know it was one of our guys[emoji106]
Well at the time you subscribed, he wasn't one of our guys yet. He just joined us last week!! :raspberry:

Reactions: ghenny440

ddgm

May 7, 2013
Back in the day, the procedure was to attach one end of a small hose to the bleeder and the other end into a jar with brake fluid in it. As long as the tube was immersed in the brake fluid, no air could enter the system.

Doug

mubai

Jan 5, 2012
I know this is an old thread, but was there a noticeable improvement in braking or brake feel?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Depends if there was air in the system to begin with. There might be an improvement when they get hot and the fluid was so old that it lost high temperature resistance to boiling.

Look at it this way; it can`t hurt.

mubai

Jan 5, 2012
Thanks Mooseman.

So it looks like all i need is a clear plastic tube, container and brake fluid. Fill the container with some fluid, insert tube, other end on the valve, open valve and press the brakes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online