How to fix collapsed lifter on DOD/AFM easier

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just YT surfing and found this video. He talks a lot and goes through the entire tear down so I cued it up to the main part. Basically, you can un-collapse the lifter without having to take the heads off. Genius actually. Once the lifter is freed up, just a matter of disabling DOD and you're good to go. The only caveat would be if it's been running a long time like this and/or the cam and lifter are damaged, this would be pointless. Maybe draining the oil first and checking for metal would be wise.

If you want to see what a rocker looks like where the lifter collapsed, go to 9:04

Another way you can disable DOD would be to just leave the connector on the VLOM disconnected until you can get it tuned.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
So in theory, after the DoD is disabled there shouldn't be any worries of that particular lifter failing again down the line? That would be my only concern if this is an ideal permanent fix.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The failure is when it tries to come out of 4 cylinder mode, the lifter stays collapsed and won't return. If you disable DOD, it won't collapse ever again. Only other failure type after that would be the roller itself or the lifter has dirt stuck in it and has a slight tick but will still run.

Reactions: Mike534x

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Ahh ok! Good to know, didn't think a fix like this existed, or would even work. I figured once the lifter was collapsed it couldn't be fixed without having to pull the heads and replacing it.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Me neither. Video is from last July so this is a relatively new method. All those years that engines have been torn apart and parts replaced for nothing!

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Personally I wouldn't trust it. Granted it'll probably be fine but like... just my luck it would collapse again.

However it would save me money because while I'm doing lifters I'd end up with a cam too and that's just a slippery slope...

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
As long as the cam and lifter rollers are good, I can't see why it wouldn't work. And with DOD disabled, it can't collapse again.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The dod lifters have 2 plungers don't they...

I'm thinking like its a regular lifter

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I know guys on the G8 GT forum have them turned off, but the majority of them do a DOD delete and opt for a slightly lumpier cam.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Absolutely! Who wouldn't like a lumpier cam? :biggrin:

I am planning that for the Caprice eventually. Just disabling it will prevent damage from a collapsed lifter. Some of the Caprices have had cam and lifter failures due to the thousands of idling hours during police duties. The majority of the failures are still from collapsed lifters.

Reactions: Matt

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online