how to? differential side bearing

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Haven't taken the driver cv axle out yet but I know there is play on the cv axle, more then normal. How do i replace the differential side bearing? i know the seal just started leaking this weekend, but that adjuster thing with a bearing in it, I can't find anything on how to replace it without pulling the whole diff out. All's i have found is that it gets installed with 55 ft/lbs or hand tight then 1/4 turn after.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I have the same issue. I don't know if it's possible to replace the cv axle bearing without pulling the diff. I expect to have to replace the seal regularly as it wears out faster with the movement of the axle.

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
I asked the gm dealership and their tech claims the whole diff has to.come out. But he also said if you are changing those bearings then might as well rebuild the whole diff, so it still wasn't a perfectly clear answer if it actually has to come out.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Might be worth it to just source a good used one then if it has to be rebuilt. Haven't heard of too many of those bearings going. Seals yes but not that bearing. If it went, it might have other deeper issues.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online