How to control when DRLs are on?

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Is there a way to make the DRLs come on ONLY when the engine is running (and for bonus points, still allow the perimeter lighting when you do a remote-unlock)? When I'm busy working on things in the truck (like LED mods), I flip the ignition switch on and off pretty often, and after about an hour of this, the battery is too drained to start. It seems ridiculous to have the lights popping on just because I flipped the key, and this is especially bad in the Winter when you may also be cold-cranking and need all the juice you can get... but I still like having those lights pop on for safety while I'm driving.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Why not just press the dome light button 4x to disable the DRL's when you dont want them on?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Why not just press the dome light button 4x to disable the DRL's when you dont want them on?

I believe that only disables the DRL's until the next time the key is turned OFF/ON again.

To the OP:

You could shine a bright light on the sensor.

Then the DRL's should only light-up when you put the truck in gear.

Or pull relay #46 in the under hood fuse box.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
This must be something that happens in early year TB's/Voy's.. because in my '07 SS andmy brothers '07 LT, DRL's & auto headlights only came on when the truck wasput into gear..

However, my friends '03 Voy kicks on the lights as soon as the key is in the ignition.. interesting... but :iagree: with the flash light on the sensor or fuse removal...

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
I believe that only disables the DRL's until the next time the key is turned OFF/ON again.

To the OP:

You could shine a bright light on the sensor.

Then the DRL's should only light-up when you put the truck in gear.

Or pull relay #46 in the under hood fuse box.

Yeah but he states:
I flip the ignition switch on and off pretty often, and after about an hour of this, the battery is too drained to start. It seems ridiculous to have the lights popping on just because I flipped the key, and this is especially bad in the Winter when you may also be cold-cranking and need all the juice you can get... but I still like having those lights pop on for safety while I'm driving.

It sounds like the OP is frustrated when hes working on his truck with the key turned to "on" but not started and the lights come on and it drains the battery. My DRL's dont come on until the truck is in drive, HOWEVER my auto headlamp system will come on when the key is turned. Same technique to disable that:

To override the DRL's/auto headlamp system temporarily when the key is turned to on, press the dome light button 4x and it will disable the lights and wont drain your battery.

Of course there are permanent DRL disable techniques but it sounds like you like them while driving, so you wont want to pull the fuse or anything like that. Its as easy as pushing a button :thumbsup:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Yeah but he states:

It sounds like the OP is frustrated when hes working on his truck with the key turned to "on" but not started and the lights come on and it drains the battery. My DRL's dont come on until the truck is in drive, HOWEVER my auto headlamp system will come on when the key is turned. Same technique to disable that:

To override the DRL's/auto headlamp system temporarily when the key is turned to on, press the dome light button 4x and it will disable the lights and wont drain your battery.

Of course there are permanent DRL disable techniques but it sounds like you like them while driving, so you wont want to pull the fuse or anything like that. Its as easy as pushing a button :thumbsup:

I meant just pull relay #46 while he's working on it. Without the relay, the headlights won't work at all.

The lights will come on, even in Park, if it is dark enough.

crmcknight

Dec 16, 2011
Try putting the parking brake on (just a few clicks - so that it would turn on the parking brake light on the IP) before you turn the ignition on. That trick works on most of the older GM auto light systems to disable the DRL's and headlamps (temporarily).

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:

Mich, this only works on 02 trucks (maybe some early 03s too). Whenever GM went to the 4 position headlight switch instead of the 3 position one is when this died off.

To the OP: Id pull the fuse or relay while working on it. Personally I like my lights either fully on or fully off so I did the DRL Killer mod so they never come on unless I turn the switch. Matter of preference, I guess some people dont like bothering with their lights.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ah well, I was hoping someone might have a previous solution that I had missed, but I guess not. It was worth a shot. Thanks everyone for all the comments, I'll just have to remember to throw a charger on my battery whenever I'm flipping the ignition without starting it up.

Tofer76

Dec 8, 2011
Why put it on a charger when you can ......
Wooluf1952 said:
I meant just pull relay #46 while he's working on it. Without the relay, the headlights won't work at all.

The lights will come on, even in Park, if it is dark enough.
and then put it back in when your done

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Because most of the time I won't remember to do either one... I'll just get better about not flipping the ignition switch so often. What can I say? I'm inherently lazy :smile:

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Shdwdrgn said:
Because most of the time I won't remember to do either one... I'll just get better about not flipping the ignition switch so often. What can I say? I'm inherently lazy :smile:

Solution: Sell the 04 and buy an 02 or 03 where we can override our DRL's with the dome light button :tongue: :biggrin:

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Solution: Sell the 04 and buy an 02 or 03 where we can override our DRL's with the dome light button :tongue: :biggrin:

Or an 08 where you can turn the drl's off completely by turning the headlight knob all the way to the left. They also dont come on until you shift into gear.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
vipergg said:
Or an 08 where you can turn the drl's off completely by turning the headlight knob all the way to the left. They also dont come on until you shift into gear.

But, you still have to do that every time you cycle the key ON/OFF, correct?

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
vipergg said:

Hmm this gives me an idea... When you shift out of park, there's a pulse sent to the door locks. If I could find an easy place to pick up that signal and the DRL signal, I could apply those to a latching AND-gate (output only when both signals are present). I could then use THAT signal to control if the DRL's come on or not...?

Seems plausible, just don't know if it's practical. Does anyone happen to know where I could pick up the DRL signal (possibly from the fuse?), and the signal when you put the truck in gear? Also, is there a specific wire that could be cut and relayed that controls the DRLs (or possibly I could build a relay circuit across the fuse terminals)? If all three signals can be found in the same fuse block, this might possibly be a very simple and cheap (under $20) mod to build.

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
But, you still have to do that every time you cycle the key ON/OFF, correct?

Correct I wish there was a way to permanently turn them off . I just make it part of my routine when I start the car to turn them off . Have seen way too many GM's running around with one headlight out . The less maintenance I have to worry about the better. I have never replaced a headlight on a vehicle that does not use drl's in my 36 years of driving.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
vipergg said:
Correct I wish there was a way to permanently turn them off .

That you CAN do. My DRL have been disabled for a couple years now. I installed the DRL modifier from Jettt Auto Tech, and there are a few other ways/vendors as well.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Shdwdrgn said:
Is there a way to make the DRLs come on ONLY when the engine is running (and for bonus points, still allow the perimeter lighting when you do a remote-unlock)? When I'm busy working on things in the truck (like LED mods), I flip the ignition switch on and off pretty often, and after about an hour of this, the battery is too drained to start. It seems ridiculous to have the lights popping on just because I flipped the key, and this is especially bad in the Winter when you may also be cold-cranking and need all the juice you can get... but I still like having those lights pop on for safety while I'm driving.

:undecided: Curiosity sufficiently piqued. What kinda LED mods are you doing that require the ignition to be on? For most of the interior ones, you can just flip the parking lights on, and whatever's on the illumination circuit will light up.

Shdwdrgn said:
Hmm this gives me an idea... When you shift out of park, there's a pulse sent to the door locks. If I could find an easy place to pick up that signal and the DRL signal, I could apply those to a latching AND-gate (output only when both signals are present). I could then use THAT signal to control if the DRL's come on or not...?

Seems plausible, just don't know if it's practical. Does anyone happen to know where I could pick up the DRL signal (possibly from the fuse?), and the signal when you put the truck in gear? Also, is there a specific wire that could be cut and relayed that controls the DRLs (or possibly I could build a relay circuit across the fuse terminals)? If all three signals can be found in the same fuse block, this might possibly be a very simple and cheap (under $20) mod to build.

If you can read a wiring schematic, go to this thread and download the manuals for your model year. These came in handy for when I had similar questions about what wire has what signal, and where I can find it. :thumbsup: Good luck with your quest, seems like it will be nice and challenging.

Manuals Thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.