How to clean these wheels

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
I've had this Trailblazer for about 8 years now. until a few months ago, the wheels looked great with a simple wash job but lately they just look bad. irregular stains and looks like maybe some flaking going on. I have no clue how these things are finished. any clues on how to clean them up?wheel2.jpg

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Yeah, the clearocat is beginning to peel. Only thing that saves that is to strip the old layer off and apply a new layer. You can try to apply it only in the spots where it's peeling, but you'll need to sand down the areas surrounding the peel and apply a quick shot of clearcoat. << -- *This should only be done once the wheels are thoroughly cleaned and all dirt/grime/brake dust has been removed.

If wheel cleaners aren't doing the job any more, I'd try something like lacquer thinner to see if the dirt/grime comes off. Apply lightly. Do not vigorously scrub it in. If it still doesn't, a wetsand (to remove the etched clearcoat) and then a fresh layer of clear should do the trick.

If the grime DOES come off with lacquer thinner, clean them up the best you can and you may want to spray on a fresh layer of clearcoat. Give them a coat of wax once the clear is dry.

There are several clearcoats you can use. There are ones at the auto stores, but I'd persoanlly recommend 2K Clearcoat: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W2D806Y/?tag=gmtnation-20
It's a 2-part system and will dry rock-solid. You should have all wheels removed, cleaned and ready to be sprayed since this stuff doesn't stay in liquid form for too long once it's activated. There's only a 48 hour window to use it before it dries up inside the spraycan.
*A good respirator is HIGHLY recommended, and do not spray this stuff near other cars. The mist will fly though the air and it'll stick to just about anything -and dry into tiny water droplet looking thingies.

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Yeah, the clearocat is beginning to peel. Only thing that saves that is to strip the old layer off and apply a new layer. You can try to apply it only in the spots where it's peeling, but you'll need to sand down the areas surrounding the peel and apply a quick shot of clearcoat. << -- *This should only be done once the wheels are thoroughly cleaned and all dirt/grime/brake dust has been removed.

If wheel cleaners aren't doing the job any more, I'd try something like lacquer thinner to see if the dirt/grime comes off. Apply lightly. Do not vigorously scrub it in. If it still doesn't, a wetsand (to remove the etched clearcoat) and then a fresh layer of clear should do the trick.

If the grime DOES come off with lacquer thinner, clean them up the best you can and you may want to spray on a fresh layer of clearcoat. Give them a coat of wax once the clear is dry.

There are several clearcoats you can use. There are ones at the auto stores, but I'd persoanlly recommend 2K Clearcoat: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W2D806Y/?tag=gmtnation-20
It's a 2-part system and will dry rock-solid. You should have all wheels removed, cleaned and ready to be sprayed since this stuff doesn't stay in liquid form for too long once it's activated. There's only a 48 hour window to use it before it dries up inside the spraycan.
*A good respirator is HIGHLY recommended, and do not spray this stuff near other cars. The mist will fly though the air and it'll stick to just about anything -and dry into tiny water droplet looking thingies.
awesome. thanks for the info!

Reactions: paul2005tb

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015

I'd even say *required* on that respirator (cartridge type). They run about $15-$20, you can see examples here. Also use eye protection.
The product contains Isocyanates.

In a best case scenario, you'll become asthmatic (permanently).
In a worst case, we won't see any more posts from you. :diggrave:

If you're old enough to remember the Bhopal disaster (1984), it was related to this stuff - half a million people were affected, and between 4000-16000 people died (depending on source), due to exposure to methyl isocyanate gas.

That being said, SprayMax 2K clear is great stuff. Just use care when applying it.

Reactions: sunliner

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I'd rather have ugly wheels than risk anyone's health using such a product. Just clean them good rinse and dry with a tack free cloth and spray paint with a standard krylon clear coat. Doesn't have to be perfect. They are SUV rims not runway model shoes !!

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I'd rather have ugly wheels than risk anyone's health using such a product. Just clean them good rinse and dry with a tack free cloth and spray paint with a standard krylon clear coat. Doesn't have to be perfect. They are SUV rims not runway model shoes !!

The one issue that I've had with auto store spraycan clearcoats is that they don't stand up too well to wheel cleaners. I've done a set of salad-shooter rims many of years ago on a previous '96 Camaro I've owned and the store-bought clearcoat began to chip and "yellow" in certain spots only a few months after applying it. That being said, all spraycan clearcoats (that I know of) have their risks if you breathe in their particles and all spraypaints require quality respirators when using. The cheap respirators that orientals in China use on a daily basis are only good for keeping gnats out of your mouth. That's. About. It.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I'm afraid to admit that I have sprayed hundreds of cans of spray paint without using a respirator. I'm doomed.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I should have croaked years ago.... :biggrin:

Reactions: paul2005tb

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Eventually the clearcoat completely comes off these wheels and then they look awful. The corrosion also prevents a good seal on the tire bead, and mine now lose air constantly. I got a cheap pair of matching wheels and this spring I plan to grind/sand those two, get them looking good and clearcoat them. Then I'll have the tire shop swap two and do the second pair.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I cleaned primed and painted my rims black and I'm very happy with the results I think black looks great with this vehicle and I noticed that a lot of new vehicles are selling rims stock black powder coated...so it's in style.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.