IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

STEP 5:
Clean the Throttle Body
IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

STEP 6:
Put everything back together. Make sure all your connections are secure, and connect the negative terminal again and start it up.

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Nice job man!! This will help me once I do mine :biggrin:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Nice how to! Well done

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
On thing I would add: Get a cleaner that says it is "Throttle Body Safe". :twocents:

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
nice write up :thumbsup:
have yet to clean mine, i'm @ 33,000
should i be looking into this?
don't recall if it was ever said on th OS what the milege interval should be.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
fletch09 said:
nice write up :thumbsup:
have yet to clean mine, i'm @ 33,000
should i be looking into this?
don't recall if it was ever said on th OS what the milege interval should be.

I did mine for the first time at 18,000 miles and it was filthy. I have no idea why mine was so bad so fast. I added to my list of things to do every 20,000 miles. It may not have needed it that often, but it seemed like good preventative maintenance. :cool:

JRTAHOE

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
I try to do it every 12-15k miles or every 2 oil changes. I tired to do it a few months back but got pissed and gave up because I cut myself on the flap so I put everything back on and went inside. :redface:

**Disclaimer, it's sharp**
299382_10150866713265591_876360590_21243136_105148849_n.jpg

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
This has been promoted to an article. It will be published when our Articles section is opened.

Thank you :smile:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Hopefully I can get mine done Monday. Nice write-up!

Joe D 04

Dec 5, 2011
I honestly do mine every time I unhook the battery. Why Not? takes 15mins once you've done it so many times.

And always remove the throttle body just before cleaning it. :twocents: I know its in the write up, but some will still try and clean it with it on the car anyways

bastenblood

Dec 22, 2011
Is it possible to do that without disconnecting the negative battery terminal ? I'm sure this will mess my remote-car-starter setup. Is this dangerous to let it plugged ? And by the way , is the "fuse removing" optional too ?

Thanks in advance .

berto1014

Dec 25, 2011
Can someone explain how to "properly" remove the connection to the throttle body from the computer?

I can never get it off, I've use more force than I feel like I should to try remove it. Last time I tried with a flathead screwdriver and it heard some plastic crack so I stopped there and just cleaned it with it still attached.

Pictures on placement of the screw driver or what needs to be done to disconnect it properly would be greatly appreciated.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
Did my today, as seen in the photo the electrical connection is located facing to the rear, a tad awkward when unfastening it. Used CRC Throttle Bottle & AIR-intake cleaner, it cleaned up nice. After reconnecting battery I let it sert about 20, and started right back up, she feels smoother.

View attachment 17668

Attachments

• DSCN0051.jpg
    DSCN0051.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN0052.jpg
    DSCN0052.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 19

JRTAHOE

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
bastenblood said:
Is it possible to do that without disconnecting the negative battery terminal ? I'm sure this will mess my remote-car-starter setup. Is this dangerous to let it plugged ? And by the way , is the "fuse removing" optional too ?

Thanks in advance .

berto1014 said:
Can someone explain how to "properly" remove the connection to the throttle body from the computer?

I can never get it off, I've use more force than I feel like I should to try remove it. Last time I tried with a flathead screwdriver and it heard some plastic crack so I stopped there and just cleaned it with it still attached.

Pictures on placement of the screw driver or what needs to be done to disconnect it properly would be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes a visual helps

All credit to this video goes to MAY03LT

[video=youtube_share;VdvgsaDmkac]http://youtu.be/VdvgsaDmkac[/video]

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
bastenblood said:
Is it possible to do that without disconnecting the negative battery terminal?
I'm sure this will mess my remote-car-starter setup. Is this dangerous to let it plugged ? And by the way , is the "fuse removing" optional too ?

Thanks in advance .

If you don't disconnect the battery or the t-body connector, make sure the key is out and there's no way you or anyone else ca hit the remote start button. That includes not having the remote in your pocket, where you may lean on it and accidentally push the button.

The disconnection of the battery or fuse, is to instantly reset the PCM. If you don't mind waiting for the PCM to re-learn on its own, I don't think the disconnections are necessary.

If this is wrong, please jump in.

khill

Jan 7, 2012
I believe there is the possibility of damage to the throttle body. If I remember correctly, if the throttle body butterfly valve is moved while connected, it could damage the sensor, or the servo, or something.... Just a recollection. That in addition to the advantages of resetting the PCM right away to let the car relearn how to use a clean throttle body.

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
was easy huh? hardest part for me was putting it all back together in the dark

04xuv

Dec 3, 2011
fletch09 said:
did mine today. i'm @ 40,100 mi, this is the first time cleaning it. used your write up as a guide :thumbsup:
i needed a swivel extention to get the bottom 2 bolts out.

front side: not bad looking
View attachment 7244

back side before:
View attachment 7245

back side after:
View attachment 7246

my throttle body looked exactly the same; both sides. used the same cleaner, too. only took about 20 minutes. i'm at about 96,000 miles; had the truck since october and have never cleaned it. i guess the dealer did the front in case i was smart enough to at least look at it (i wasn't). seems to run better, though.

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
berto1014 said:

First, pull out on the little grey piece, it will move 1/8 to 3/16 out, the push on the little grey bump in the middle and take that grey piece all the way out. Now, press hard with thumb in the middle where that grey piece was (you are raising a latch when you do this)now pull on the plug or get a screwdrive on the back end to help push it off while pressing with your thumb. DO NOT pull on the wire.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online