1 - 75W-90 Gear Oil; 1 Quart
1 - Fluid Pump
1 - 13mm Socket
1 - 18mm Socket
1 - Ratchet
1 - 3" Ratchet Extension
2 - 6" Ratchet Extension

front-diff-01-jpg.83848

**IMPORTANT** Remove the Fill Plug BEFORE you remove the Drain Plug.

front-diff-01a-jpg.83849

1. Remove the front driver side tire to give yourself room to work. You can also do this by leaving the tire on and turning the wheel to the left.

front-diff-02-jpg.83850

2. Use a 18mm socket with 15" worth of extensions to remove the Fill Plug. You may be able to do this without all the extensions but I found this the easiest.

front-diff-03-jpg.83851

3. Use a 13mm socket with 12" worth of extensions to remove the Drain Plug. A 13mm wrench from below also works.

front-diff-04-jpg.83852

4. With the engine plate removed the old gear oil falls straight down. Be sure to have an oil catch pan ready.

front-diff-05-jpg.83853

5. Replace the Drain Plug and tighten to 24 ft. lbs.

6. Use the fluid pump to put new fluid into the Fill hole. You will need 0.8 Liters.

7. Replace the Fill Plug and tighten to 24 ft. lbs.

8. Put the wheel back on and enjoy :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Good article. Just two comments. The gear oil has to be synthetic 75W90. The other is that the vehicle should be on a jack stand and not on just a jack, especially if you are going under the vehicle. It wasn't mentioned and all we see is a jack in the pic.

Reactions: CaptainKD

CaptainKD

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Mooseman said:
The gear oil has to be synthetic 75W90.
Good point! :thumbsup:

Mooseman said:
the vehicle should be on a jack stand and not on just a jack, especially if you are going under the vehicle.
Safety is very important. My jack stand was out of the picture but I DID have it :yes:

Here's a link to a informative video about how to correctly set your truck on jack stands.
YouTube - Jacking off your Trailblazer

CaptainKD

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Re uploading photos......

How To: Change Front Differential Fluid

Items you'll need:
1 - 75W-90 Gear Oil; 1 Quart
1 - Fluid Pump
1 - 13mm Socket
1 - 18mm Socket
1 - Ratchet
1 - 3" Ratchet Extension
2 - 6" Ratchet Extension

Front Diff 01.jpg

**IMPORTANT** Remove the Fill Plug BEFORE you remove the Drain Plug.

Front Diff 01a.jpg

1. Remove the front driver side tire to give yourself room to work. You can also do this by leaving the tire on and turning the wheel to the left.
Front Diff 02.jpg

2. Use a 18mm socket with 15" worth of extensions to remove the Fill Plug. You may be able to do this without all the extensions but I found this the easiest.
Front Diff 03.jpg

3. Use a 13mm socket with 12" worth of extensions to remove the Drain Plug. A 13mm wrench from below also works.
Front Diff 04.jpg

4. With the engine plate removed the old gear oil falls straight down. Be sure to have an oil catch pan ready.
Front Diff 05.jpg

5. Replace the Drain Plug and tighten to 24 ft. lbs.

6. Use the fluid pump to put new fluid into the Fill hole. You will need 0.8 Liters.

7. Replace the Fill Plug and tighten to 24 ft. lbs.

8. Put the wheel back on and enjoy :thumbsup:

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I wonder about the "has to be synthetic" - The front is a plain open differential that should be OK with any type of gear oil.......

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's the OEM recommendation. Probably helps for fluid longevity. And it's just better.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.