How things change... (a farewell to an old friend)

fishsticks

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Those of you who know me have seen the balancing act I've tried to do in keeping my TB as a DD and a capable off road machine. My TB has gotten me places I never thought it would go, and I've learned a hell of a lot building it.

I gave up on this balancing act recently. Partly because the costs of keeping the TB in parts is getting out of control, and partly because I finally made the decision to let another member of the family go.

I never thought I'd do this but...

IMAG0377.jpg

Goodbye baby, I'll miss you terribly...

It's been 13 years since we met and we've had a hell of a time since. It's true, we've both gotten a little rough around the edges as we've aged, but that wasn't why I let you go. My life has changed and I just can't give you the attention you deserve anymore. You sit in the garage and wait patiently with the hope that I'll take you out for fresh air and open road... and in the last few years, those times have come less and less often.

Your new owner was so excited to get you I finished up the repairs I promised a day early just so he could take you home. I think he'll take good care of you, maybe better than I did.

April and I will never forget the last drive we took with you. You wanted freeway, and we gave it to you. One last felony for old time's sake.

Thank you. Thank you so much for being a part of my life. I'm better for it.

-- Donny

I guess I'm writing my goodbye letter here since this is the only place full of people who might be able to understand how you can grow to love a machine. This car has shaped my life in many ways and I have so many memories tied to it that it feels as if I've given away part of myself. The entirety of my 20's are wrapped up in it. By letting it go, I feel I've let them go as well.

How silly it is to grieve for a car...

My TB will stay with me... for years to come if I have my way. It will serve as my DD and family offroading rig, and will do an outstanding job I'm sure. My new purpose built wheeler is shown below:

IMG_20111203_123009.jpg

It's rough as well, and needs my attention. Will I grow to love it like the Camaro? We'll see. Will it ever make me forget her?

Never.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Cars do become family to some of us. My wife even agrees that the TB will never leave, but my true mistress is patiently waiting in the barn. I miss my Burban all the time, but need the time to give her what she deserves.

Sorry for the loss, but congrats on the new member of the family.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I can sympathize. I had a 98 Camaro V6 that was rough when I bought it, and gave me all sorts of fits from its prior abuse, but over time it got to be rather reliable, even though the body was still not in the greatest of shape. I grew really attached to it over the 3 years I had it, then I lost it in an accident :sadcry: At least yours went to another person who will hopefully take care of it and enjoy it instead of a junkyard.

On that note, I am looking at maybe getting another one this coming year sometime.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Sorry for the loss but I am sure you will enjoy the new toy.

wiggles

Dec 4, 2011
I felt the same way about my 66 elcamino (sold) and my 04 SER Nissan Sentra with a nissmo package. (TOTALED)

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
I kind of feel you on the sentra..... I would have totaled it too! lol j/k I'm sure it was a fine car. :raspberry:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I am sorry for your loss, at least she went to a good home. I look forward to seeing the future that the new addition provides.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
I know how you feel Donny, Im a little luckier in that my first baby (02 TB) is still in my family and my brother's driving it. So I get to see it and drive it every so often, still puts a fat grin on my face when I drive it around. Love my TBSS, but the 02 is my first car and Im attached to it because of that (and the countless hours spent in and under it).

Enjoy the new rig, still stoked to see your TB soon!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online