How old is too old

Stuntmanmike1977

Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Sanford, Maine
Hello everyone. I've needed to do some work to my Trailblazer for a while now. Plan on doing the valve cover gasket which is leaking out the rear. The weather isn't getting any warmer and my concern is I bought a valve cover set and intake set about 2 years ago. Had life issues so never got around to it till now. Are the gaskets too old to install now or will they be good. Never opened them and been stored at room temperature the entire time. This job is a pita and really can't do it twice. What do you all think?

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
The gasket should still be ok since it has never been used to exposed to the temperature extremes of being installed. How bad is the leak? Granted any leak is not good, but if you don't get it done, can you live with it, or is the leak bad enough that hot oil could cause a fire?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The new gaskets should be fine since they were designed to last in the harsh environment of an engine for years.

The worse part of the job is removing/installing the intake manifold. Not too bad if you have a variety of 1/4" ratchet extensions and 10mm sockets.

Stuntmanmike1977

Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Sanford, Maine
The leak isn't that bad but, having a better look at it today, also starting to seep around the exhaust manifold. I just don't want it to start leaking into the plug holes causing a misfire in the dead of winter. I did actually get a couple new 10mm 1/4 sockets and swivels so as far as tools go I have everything else. Also have a new exhaust manifold to put on and don't want oil leaking onto that.

Reactions: Mooseman

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
When I did the gaskets on the wife's '06 TB 4.2 I just laid a piece of cardboard on top of the engine after removing the coils and wiring harnesses. Climb up there, lie down (don't get too comfy), and with a 10mm socket and ratchet reach down behind the engine and remove the rear intake manifold bolt. Installation is reverse of removal.
One other thing I would add is to consider replacing the purge valve if it's got any age on it. It's not a question of "if" they will fail, it's "when". They are a a bugger to get to with the intake manifold in place, with it removed the purge valve is right there!
The PCV hose that is in the center of the intake manifold has one of the 10mm bolts hiding behind it. The hose is L shaped, and the short end goes on a horizontal fitting on the intake, the long end is vertical and goes on a much longer fitting. Trying to peel the vertical end off first can lead to frustration and using words you had forgotten you knew! The short end is secured with a small spring clamp. If you can, use a small needle nosed locking pliers and release that clamp. Then you can wiggle the short end off and the long end will come off easily. That clamp is bonded to the hose on the top. Remove it and use a regular small hose clamp when you put it back on. Makes it much easier to clean out the PCV hose in the future.
Give yourself two days to do the job. You could probably do it in one long marathon session, but that's how things get overlooked and mistakes get made. It's not really a hard job to do, just time consuming.
Good luck to ya!

Reactions: Beacon

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online