How Much Sleep?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
My buddy and I were talking about this the other day and it really has me thinking.

How much sleep do you really get in a week?

I am up til midnight, often 1 or 2 whether weekday or weekend. I am always up by 530 for weekday work and generally can not sleep in past 630 on weekends. Figuring I generally get about 30 to 35 hours of sleep a week.

My wife on the other hand can not seem to function without 8-10 hours sleep a day. 50-70 a week.

I know we have some night-owls here but do yall sleep in then? Some of ya work odd shifts, do you sleep much or run on minimum like myself?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I do about 40... anywhere from 30 to 50 normally. Some nights 3 is enough and others 8.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I usually go to bed around 12 (probably won't fall asleep for 15-30 min), alarm goes off at 7:15.

I wake up when it gets light out but if it is the weekend and I have nowhere to go in the morning I can drift back off into a light sleep or snooze for hours. I don't get moving very quickly in the mornings at all.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
My sleep varies Normally about 40 hours per week I think. If I wake up with no place to go or nothing to get moving I have fallen back to sleep.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
I don't function well without 8 hours every weeknight. I'll typically only get 6-7, up by 6:15. I then stay up way too late on the weekends (probably 2:00 am to bed and up at 10:00). Not a healthy combination, I know, but it's how I roll.

When I wore a younger man's clothes, I could function easily with only 4-6 any night.

smt 59

I'm lucky to get 30-35, bed at around 11:30 midnight and up at 5:30 AM, most mornings I am awake before the alarm 4:30-5AM ish. On the weekends I sleep until around 7AM.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I work shifts so my sleep is not consistent. It can be between 6-8 hours on normal days. After a night shift, it can be between 5-8 hours if I'm lucky.

I used to be able to sleep 8-10-12 hours. Now I'm just happy if I get 7. I do have sleep apnea so that could have been a factor previous to being diagnosed.

smt 59

I don't function well without 8 hours every weeknight. I'll typically only get 6-7, up by 6:15. I then stay up way too late on the weekends (probably 2:00 am to bed and up at 10:00). Not a healthy combination, I know, but it's how I roll.

When I wore a younger man's clothes, I could function easily with only 4-6 any night.
Couldn't we all, lol

Reactions: Robbabob

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Me, usually to bed by 12:00 - 1:00 and up around 6:00. I am not one for snooze alarms or sleeping in. Basically whenever I open my eyes I get up, sometimes even before 4. I've never been one to wake up n lay there for another hour or so, to me that's just a waste of time since I could be up and doing something else.

My wife goes to bed 8:30 - 9:00 and gets up at 6:00. She works at home from 7am-130pm and then 3:30pm - 5:00pm. She usually lays down for a snooze between 1:30-3:30.

I think she gets too much sleep.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I'm up almost every morning at 5:30 15 minutes before my alarm. I guess I have an internal alarm clock so to speak. Lol. I'm usually done and lights out just before 11:00 pm. My work schedule is Sunday to Thursday 8-4:30. My cummute is 1hr 15 minutes on the iron horse so I get a wink in on the train ones or twice a week. On my days off its not much different unless there is an outing me and the wife have to go to.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I go to be between 11 and 12 most nights and get up at 5.30 during the week and a sleep in on the weekend is 7.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
I get about 6 hours per night throughout the week but closer to eight on the weekends. When I'm working overtime I average closer to five on workdays because something has to give and sleep is usually it.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I say I get 6-7 hours of sleep daily, but it is not all at once. I am usually in bed sleeping for a couple hours by the time the wife's alarm is going off for her to get out of bed. I am usually awake for the next hour until she leaves, then sleep another 4 to 5 hours. When I worked 3rd shift, I was sleeping around 4-5 hours a day. Felt like a zombie working 3rd shift.

I definitely feel much better when I can sleep 6-7 hours uninterrupted versus being woken up after being asleep for a couple hours.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Last edited:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I can function on 4-5 hours of sleep, but I feel like a different person with 7 to 8 hours. I need to get repeated 7 to 8 hours to stay asleep that long, it seems once I'm on vacation I wake up after about 5-6 hrs but I will slowly increase that time as days go by.

Then, repeat bad cycle....I do need to just call it quits some nights and go for 7-8 hrs.

Kelly@PCMofNC

Mar 16, 2013
I need eight hours to be at my best. Anything more than that and I'm groggy, anything less and I have less patience that day. I've done it on much less (think: newborn!!) but I am not a happy camper and have a hard time concentrating.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Eight hours works for me best or else I'm sipping on caffeinated/energon drinks all day just to get through the day. And after drinking all that stuff all day, I can't sleep that night which starts a bad repeating cycle.

Reactions: mrrsm

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Slept 3 hrs Sat night/Sun morn and felt great all day yesterday. Over slept and got 8 last night and feel like I am dragging ass today.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Last edited:

nagyiii

Apr 26, 2014
I average about 5 1/2 hrs a day. Working rotating 12 hrs days with OT throw in, you never know if you're coming or going...

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Between working my 2 jobs, and balancing a personal life, I'm getting about 5-6 hours a night. I work the night job 4 days a wk. And I get about 7-8 hours on days I just work 1 job. So on avg, about 30-34 a wk.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Wonder if he bothered to try and get some help for it.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
What a crappy situation. Hopefully he moves home and gets to set himself up for success even with the issues.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Wow... that's scary as to the fact similar things are happening with me. Well actually they always have. I'm violent in my sleep curse punch throw things kick walls etc. The bleed through thing used to happen upon waking from nightmares but lately they've been happening just in the morning. And they've gone the otherway too where the real world bleeds in. But yet I can sleep through just about anything and haven't actually gotten out of bed or anything like that. Just violent. Like a couple of years back I walked into my parents room screamed at the top of my lungs then walked back into my room and went to sleep. But that was the last time that happened and one of the first actually. I believe it's stress induced lately and since I'm more relaxed it doesn't seem as bad.

As for amount of sleep, 4-8 total a night but it feels like 2 most of the time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online