How much of a ride hit with belltech setup vs stock?

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I'm wondering what kind of ride quality hit I'll take lowering my Rainier. I know the 20's I'm going to swap to will be a bit of a hit. Going from 245/65/17 to 275/45/20. Don't want this thing to ride like a 4th gen vette. Doing it for looks. Don't need it to handle or ride like a sports car. Lol. Especially want the ride quality to be pretty smooth. Not harsh.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Imo ride is definitely stiffer. But I had 22's so that made the quality worse. Depends also how low you go. I was at 30.5 from ground to fenderlip and I thought it ride like poop. But I didn't care because I was going all in for appearance. Stay around 31.5 from ground to fenderlip and you'll be ok.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
That's the kit I was thinking of. 31.5 Wasn't going to do it till spring, but that rebate belltech has is slapping my skull right now lol. I'm hoping 31.5 won't ride too hard. One if the things I like about these trucks is the ride...

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
I am going to be picking up some new factory 20" reps with 275/45/20's as well. I am contemplating picking up the Belltech kit as well but not sure I want to give up the rear air bags just yet as I have had no problems with them. Are you getting rid of yours Tiggerr?

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
My compressor died in 2013. Slapped TB/voy coils in it at the time. I hate the way it sits now though. Sat level with the bags. Sits up in back now a good bit. I'd probably be happy with stock TBSS height and sitting level.

Still haven't gotten wheels. Can't find the damn things. Or anything I like anyway. Don't want the TBSS repros

Btw I liked my airride too. Rode better than he springs. Just didnt have $700 to rework it at the time.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
RedRocketZ28 said:
I am going to be picking up some new factory 20" reps with 275/45/20's as well. I am contemplating picking up the Belltech kit as well but not sure I want to give up the rear air bags just yet as I have had no problems with them. Are you getting rid of yours Tiggerr?
Can't you just turn the sensor and keep the bags?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Tiggerr said:
I'm wondering what kind of ride quality hit I'll take lowering my Rainier. I know the 20's I'm going to swap to will be a bit of a hit. Going from 245/65/17 to 275/45/20. Don't want this thing to ride like a 4th gen vette. Doing it for looks. Don't need it to handle or ride like a sports car. Lol. Especially want the ride quality to be pretty smooth. Not harsh.
Hey! I drive an 84, once you ride in that nothing is harsh by comparison. [emoji6]

I don't have any expirence but I can't possibly imagine anything riding that harsh unless you use bricks for springs and have literally zero sidewall.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
Can't you just turn the sensor and keep the bags?
Yep, bag height can be adjusted.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I'm bagless myself. What I've read though, depending how low you go with bags it rides horrible.

I'd like to to the belltech 31.5 kit, but haven't heard from anyone who has it about the ride. Compared to OEM.

I sit at 32 3/4 front now and about 34" in rear with 245/65/17's that are almost to wear bars. So probably 33 1/4 and 34 1/2 with fresh rubber.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
I had the belltech kit at ss height on my Trailblazer. It was stiffer, but rode better than my 100k oem setup...I also put ss springs up front.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Wondered about doing ss springs with a 6cyl. Wasn't too sure if I'd get anything there being its lighter than the ls2. How stiff was it on potholes driveways, expansion strips, etc. was there a lot of slap? Don't want to feel every groove in the pavement. Lol. especially on the crap roads around here

Guess I should probably wait till I get my wheels/tires and re-measure. Just hate to miss rebate. Maybe they'll do it again by spring

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
Rebate seems to be a yearly thing, if that.

They are performance shocks, so you wont get a soft ride, but I wouldn't call it jarring by any means. My braking distance and cornering were greatly improved.

Control arm bushings seemed to make the biggest difference to me as far as pot holes went.

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
I've been driving on my stock 16" wheels with the belltech 2/3 drop and the modified upper arms since Tuesday this week, it honestly drives like a truck now, definitely stiffer but it's WAY better then a sports car in terms of ride quality, it really reminds me of driving my dads old 03 Sierra 2500HD extended cab long bed, but without all that extra length to drag around, I like it, well worth it for how much better it corners. Honestly it doesn't feel like a lowered car riding in it is like riding in a full size truck, it doesn't even feel like your sitting any lower when your inside, but at 6 foot tall I no longer have to climb up into the seat and it LOOKS so good, but thats on a trailblazer I don't know how the rainer would look lowered.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Found a few lowered Rainiers and saab 9-7's which are closer body style. They look awesome IMHO the Saab and Buick were the best looking gmt's. Not sure I want 2500hd ride tho. Never driven one tho

Plus the tire size will make a difference. 275/45 vs 245/65.

Guess if it rode about like my fusion that'd be liveable... It's on 235/45 tires

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
Tiggerr said:
Found a few lowered Rainiers and saab 9-7's which are closer body style. They look awesome IMHO the Saab and Buick were the best looking gmt's. Not sure I want 2500hd ride tho. Never driven one tho

Plus the tire size will make a difference. 275/45 vs 245/65.

Guess if it rode about like my fusion that'd be liveable... It's on 235/45 tires
It's not as bad as the 2500HD, thats just the last TRUCK i've driven recently enough to compare it to. it's not a bad ride by any means and it smooths out when you get to speed, sure it's not as smooth as teh stock ride but after a month of driving my lowered (1.25") 99 firebird it's a HUGE step up in ride quality.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Daniel644 said:
It's not as bad as the 2500HD, thats just the last TRUCK i've driven recently enough to compare it to. it's not a bad ride by any means and it smooths out when you get to speed, sure it's not as smooth as teh stock ride but after a month of driving my lowered (1.25") 99 firebird it's a HUGE step up in ride quality.
I'll bet it is! Lol

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the way I would describe the ride quality of the kit is that if you had never drove or rode in our platform before you wouldn't know it wasn't a factory ride, it's that close to other SUVs of the era. what you've got to remember is this platform had a ridiculously smooth ride from the factory, so anything is going to stiffen it up, but in my opinion it is worth the extra stiffness for the superior cornering and more aggressive looks.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Yeah I love the ride. But love the looks lowered too lol. I'm greedy I want both lol

Talked to Tony he says not harsh or sports car rough. Fork it! Ordered it. Couldn't pass the rebate up. $150 is $150

Reactions: jrSS

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
I ordered the kit from Tony as well. I recently bought Bilsteins for the front but will either be sending those back or trying to sell them. My Buick has 105k on it and who knows how much longer the bags will last. I need new shocks/struts all around anyway and a little lower will look better with 20" wheels.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Sure enough. If I can ever get my wheels I'll be happy. What 20's are you running on yours? I'm trying to get ahold of a set of Boss Motorsports 313's. In black/chrome. Best I've found is they're back ordered 8 weeks!!

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
I am leaning towards black SS wheels. I will need new tires before winter and figured I'd just rock the wheels all year round with some good all seasons. I've had my eye out on forums and Craigslist but everyone wants a pretty penny for used SS wheels with tires that are barely decent. I can get a new set of repos and Cooper Discoverer H/T plus tires for a little over $1300 shipped already mounted and balanced. New tires for my stock wheels are going to run me close to $700, if not more, and I want something that looks a little better.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
RedRocketZ28 said:
I am leaning towards black SS wheels. I will need new tires before winter and figured I'd just rock the wheels all year round with some good all seasons. I've had my eye out on forums and Craigslist but everyone wants a pretty penny for used SS wheels with tires that are barely decent. I can get a new set of repos and Cooper Discoverer H/T plus tires for a little over $1300 shipped already mounted and balanced. New tires for my stock wheels are going to run me close to $700, if not more, and I want something that looks a little better.
Oic... Thought you had them already. Not a big fan of the SS wheels on a Buick. Just my OCD lol. I really want something with a bit of a lip to it too.

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
Yeah I hear ya. I like the clean, factory look of them. There are very few aftermarket wheels that I actually like. Around here, all I see are stock GMT360's and very rarely see a Rainier. I think lowered a bit on black SS wheels with some other tasteful mods like exhaust will really have people giving it a second glance.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
RedRocketZ28 said:
Yeah I hear ya. I like the clean, factory look of them. There are very few aftermarket wheels that I actually like. Around here, all I see are stock GMT360's and very rarely see a Rainier. I think lowered a bit on black SS wheels with some other tasteful mods like exhaust will really have people giving it a second glance.
No doubt! Idk where your from but where I live i see a quite a few Rainiers. Mostly I see tb's and voys tho. Most stock. Occasionally a Saab. Once in a blue moon a tbss. I agree about most aftermarket wheels too. Repros will be my plan b. Wish I could get the black chrome repros in 20". They only have them in 22's from what I've seen.
They sell them over at tbssowners.com.

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
I live in Iowa and can go outside right now and throw a rock and hit a Trailblazer or Envoy. I have seen a handful of Rainier's in the year I have owned mine, a couple 9-7x's, and a few TBSS. I have a buddy who works for WS6Store.com (Big LS parts shop - Fbody, Corvette, GTO, etc.) and the owner has a turbo TBSS my buddy did all the work on. Wouldn't mind doing a few more mods to the 5.3 in the Rainier but I just recently sold my 01 Z28 to cut back on car spending and focus more on things we need for our new house, lol.

I've found another place that you can get them for $800 shipped. The TBSS store does have decent prices on them but if I can get a complete package for around $1300 shipped with a very good tire, I think that's the route I will take. I still have a few other things I need to do to the Rainier to get it to where I really want. Needs a few dings taken care of, sway bar end links when the shocks/struts go in, transfer case and trans fluid change as well.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Woot woot! Got it all today. Nice turnaround time. Packaged well too. Even came with loctite for the UCA's. And greaseable bushings! Can't beat that with a hammer for $150 off!

I agree wheel prices are decent over there too. With tires a bit high. IMHO

No complaints here though on the belltech/djm parts. Very nice

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
I got mine last week as well. I think I am going to leave the bags for now and lower it a bit with those. Once the bags or compressor dies I will then swap in the springs. I have been meaning to order the wheel/tire combo but haven't gotten around to it. We just got back from vacation and my family took my Dad's Avalanche as we had to haul some stuff down to the lake Condo for him.

I think I'll try and do the shocks/struts this weekend and get some pictures posted when done.

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
Figured I'd open the box and have a look. Had a poster somewhat crumpled in the box too but I'll hang it in the garage. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439425461.126121.jpg

Reactions: Blckshdw

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Looks just like mine. I got the poster too. And some stickers. Control arms shipped separate In plain box. Prob wait till spring to do mine. Hopefully by then I can get ahold of some wheels and do the brakes too all at once. I have almost everything to do suspension now. Probably gonna do the spohn chrome moly non adjustable rear control arms and adjustable panhard too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online