How many miles is too many?

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Alright so my girlfriends car is on its last leg, it's a 2000 dodge neon with under 30k miles on it. The problem is it sat WAY to long and has had major problems over the last few weeks so we need to find something newer and better to haul the kids around in. I am not wanting to spend over 5k for a tb or envoy if I can help it. I'm unfortunately only finding some with VERY high mileage, what would be good things to look at with a high mileage tb or is it even worth the risk?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
As with anything, it all boils down to maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Optimal find would be a 1 or 2 owner with every single service record. While mileage is an important factor, it shouldnt scare you away from a good find. Last year my brother bought a 2013 Silverado 4x4 LTZ with the 5.3L V8 with 125,000 miles on it already :blinkhuh::blinkhuh::blinkhuh: For a about $25k after tax and title. The logic there... He needed a truck. Its a $50,000 truck brand new and at only half the cost 2 years later? Thats a deal. It was a one owner traveling salesman that had every single service record. Brother has been driving it ever since without a hiccup.

All that being said, you want to make sure the 100k mile maintenance was completed. Plugs changed, diff fluids, etc... $5k is a decent amount to get you into a good used GMT so long as you remember you're buying a $5k vehicle and not a brand new one.

Edit: Like this one here. i see youre in Ohio too. Im up North next to cleveland and this is the dealership i bought my Cruze from. 1 owner, 44 service records, clean car fax, fluids flushed, injectors cleaned, only 122k miles... DEAL right there..

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...=443074951&makeCode1=CHEV&modelCode1=TRAILBLZ

Last edited:

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
As with anything, it all boils down to maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Optimal find would be a 1 or 2 owner with every single service record. While mileage is an important factor, it shouldnt scare you away from a good find. Last year my brother bought a 2013 Silverado 4x4 LTZ with the 5.3L V8 with 125,000 miles on it already :blinkhuh::blinkhuh::blinkhuh: For a about $25k after tax and title. The logic there... He needed a truck. Its a $50,000 truck brand new and at only half the cost 2 years later? Thats a deal. It was a one owner traveling salesman that had every single service record. Brother has been driving it ever since without a hiccup.

All that being said, you want to make sure the 100k mile maintenance was completed. Plugs changed, diff fluids, etc... $5k is a decent amount to get you into a good used GMT so long as you remember you're buying a $5k vehicle and not a brand new one.

That's very true, I'm hoping to find something around that price range so we don't have to finance anything. I guess we will just have to be picky

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I edited my top post and posted a link there. Im in Ohio too, up north next to Cleveland. Check out that TB. I just did a 100 mile sweep on my searches for auto trader.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
I edited my top post and posted a link there. Im in Ohio too, up north next to Cleveland. Check out that TB. I just did a 100 mile sweep on my searches for auto trader.

I'm gonna keep looking until probably around income tax time. We're about 30-40 minutes north from downtown Cincinnati

Reactions: Boricua SS

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
haha... wow you're far from me :rotfl: Thats about a 4-5 hour drive to get up here

Reactions: tsmith1156

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
We picked up the 02 envoy for about 4. it had a carfax record of most of what I felt was important to be done. It had about 119k on it when we got it. So far the "dealership" hubs failed and it needed tires shocks and a set of brakes. We also did the swaybar endlinks but aside from that it has been pretty trouble free.

Look for service records or a competent 3rd party record. Ask about the problem areas on the early ones. (Tccm, splines disconnect the usual suspects.) Aside from all that it still can be a crap shoot but if you know how it's supposed to sound and feel you should get a pretty good indication on a test drive.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
haha... wow you're far from me :rotfl: Thats about a 4-5 hour drive to get up here

Probably a straight shot up 71 but idk haha

We picked up the 02 envoy for about 4. it had a carfax record of most of what I felt was important to be done. It had about 119k on it when we got it. So far the "dealership" hubs failed and it needed tires shocks and a set of brakes. We also did the swaybar endlinks but aside from that it has been pretty trouble free.

Look for service records or a competent 3rd party record. Ask about the problem areas on the early ones. (Tccm, splines disconnect the usual suspects.) Aside from all that it still can be a crap shoot but if you know how it's supposed to sound and feel you should get a pretty good indication on a test drive.

Ya that sounds like mine, I paid way too much for mine, it had 98k miles when I got it but I feel like it had been a bunch of problems but I guess it was just the normal stuff that needs done. Now I need shocks and struts here soon

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Probably a straight shot up 71 but idk haha

Ya that sounds like mine, I paid way too much for mine, it had 98k miles when I got it but I feel like it had been a bunch of problems but I guess it was just the normal stuff that needs done. Now I need shocks and struts here soon
I think all totaled it was 900 for the shocks brakes and tires. it went 2 years before we put on the tires though. didn't need them right away. For our area it was well below what it should have been. There's been a couple of other stupid things but I can't complain. We put like 20k on it and it's been fine. I'm guessing yours was above 5-6?

It's hard to find them with less than 100k now. The newest one is still 7 years old.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
I think all totaled it was 900 for the shocks brakes and tires. it went 2 years before we put on the tires though. didn't need them right away. For our area it was well below what it should have been. There's been a couple of other stupid things but I can't complain. We put like 20k on it and it's been fine. I'm guessing yours was above 5-6?

It's hard to find them with less than 100k now. The newest one is still 7 years old.

Mine is an 05, it hasn't been too bad but I've had some stuff go wrong

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
If you've got more than 2 kids to carry, think about a LWB. I picked up my '03 (V8)with 128K on it about 18mos ago for right around 5K TTL. The only thing that 'went bad' on it was the headlight relay (low beam) a couple of weeks ago (and since I had a spare as recommended, no worries).

I've 'done' more to it, maintenance-wise, but all told, it's been a good 2nd vehicle for me.. If you can get a carfax / service records, as others have mentioned, you should be set. Make sure you test the 4WD ranges, if it has it.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
If you've got more than 2 kids to carry, think about a LWB. I picked up my '03 (V8)with 128K on it about 18mos ago for right around 5K TTL. The only thing that 'went bad' on it was the headlight relay (low beam) a couple of weeks ago (and since I had a spare as recommended, no worries).

I've 'done' more to it, maintenance-wise, but all told, it's been a good 2nd vehicle for me.. If you can get a carfax / service records, as others have mentioned, you should be set. Make sure you test the 4WD ranges, if it has it.

That's what I was thinking, plus the ext version provides some more room and she wants a third kid in the next few years so we will need it. What do you mean 4wd ranges?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
>>> What do you mean 4wd ranges?

Make sure it shift to / out of / drives OK in 2 Hi, 4 Hi, A4WD, 4Hi, and 4Lo. To get it into / out of 4Lo, you have to be in Park or Neutral. If the light on the selector switch flashes and then goes back to the previous gear range (and you hear no engagement, etc.), then that indicates a problem (and you can find many posts here about tracking down whether it's the switch, the encoder motor, or something else).

In 2Lo, you should not drive too fast (under 20 or so), and cornering will produce crow (wheel) hop on dry surfaces.

When you find yours, and if it has 4WD, the first fluid to replace, as soon as you get it, will be the transfer case. Use the GM Auto-trak II (blue); it's a little more expensive (if you can only source it from the dealer), but it gives the best result over others, as evidenced by others on this board. You'll need (2) quart bottles. If you DIY, make sure you can loosen the fill bolt first (you can check the level before draining it this way, too - to see where it's at, if you might have to look for a leak, etc.).

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I find in my area that the Buicks and the Izusu's are the cheaper routes to go with. near me I have a Buick v8 awd with 86k miles for 3900. I have an ascender in the area, lwb good miles, for 3000.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
>>> What do you mean 4wd ranges?

Make sure it shift to / out of / drives OK in 2 Hi, 4 Hi, A4WD, 4Hi, and 4Lo. To get it into / out of 4Lo, you have to be in Park or Neutral. If the light on the selector switch flashes and then goes back to the previous gear range (and you hear no engagement, etc.), then that indicates a problem (and you can find many posts here about tracking down whether it's the switch, the encoder motor, or something else).

In 2Lo, you should not drive too fast (under 20 or so), and cornering will produce crow (wheel) hop on dry surfaces.

When you find yours, and if it has 4WD, the first fluid to replace, as soon as you get it, will be the transfer case. Use the GM Auto-trak II (blue); it's a little more expensive (if you can only source it from the dealer), but it gives the best result over others, as evidenced by others on this board. You'll need (2) quart bottles. If you DIY, make sure you can loosen the fill bolt first (you can check the level before draining it this way, too - to see where it's at, if you might have to look for a leak, etc.).

Gotcha, thank you!

I find in my area that the Buicks and the Izusu's are the cheaper routes to go with. near me I have a Buick v8 awd with 86k miles for 3900. I have an ascender in the area, lwb good miles, for 3000.

I'll have to look at that, maybe a Buick

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I just looked, and the oldsmobile's seem to be the cheapest overall. found one with 122k for 2000.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I never consider shocks, brakes, or other wear items to be "problems" that need repaired if they are just worn and due for a change. Something to keep in mind when buying a used vehicle whether you'll need to do them or not, yeah, but not a mark against the vehicle's reliability, per se.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio

Oh ya, I wasn't thinking

I never consider shocks, brakes, or other wear items to be "problems" that need repaired if they are just worn and due for a change. Something to keep in mind when buying a used vehicle whether you'll need to do them or not, yeah, but not a mark against the vehicle's reliability, per se.

That's true, I guess I mainly need to just look at records and see if it's been wrecked or how often it's been serviced

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
With <30k on the Neon, wouldn't putting a few bucks into it make it good to go?

Well she didn't check the oil ever and it was hardly ever driven. We just had the cylinder rethreaded from a family friend and it was 3 quarts low on oil (it only takes 4) and the guy told us it's not worth putting anymore money into it. It sat for like a year before we got it with nobody starting it or driving it. When she got it the tires were practically dry rotted I had to buy her new ones

Here is an excellent example of what the guys here have been telling you. Under 100k miles , in your price range with an excellent maintenance record...Mike
https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/5882345515.html

Man that's a pretty good pickup actually

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Thank you very much for looking those up! The only issue I'll have with the Oldsmobile and Isuzu is finding parts

Body parts(fendor,lights,bumbers) maybe everthing else is pretty much identical to a tb.

Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The Isuzu is a envoy. every single part transfers over. there are only 4 differences inbetween them. the headlights are different internally, but are still transferable. the grill , but again are still transferable, the taillights but again are transferable, and the Isuzu badging. gm was like Porsche in pure laziness. Porsche has not really redesigned the 911 in forever, and neither did gm when they built the ascender .

The bravada only is different in skin. the front clip (fenders, grill, headlights, and front bumper) are different. but parts are transferable from other GMT as long as you do it completely. but everything else is transferable from pretty much every other GMT.

Essentially these trucks are all identical with only minor differences. Saab 9-7x, Oldsmobile Bravada, Isuzu Ascender, GMC Envoy, Chevrolet Trailblazer, Buick Rainier. same frame, air bags, axles , engines, etc.

I think there is 1 exception to that rule. the back half of the GMC Envoy XUV. I think they are different from the back of the rear doors back. But don't let that confuse you.

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Don't forget the AWD vs the 4WD transfer case/encoder/disconnect differences. Bravada, Rainier, 9-7x are AWD, Trailblazer and Envoy are 4WD. Not sure on the Ascender. But yeah, the vast majority mechanical stuff is the same.

The Ascender has Trailblazer fog lights, by the way. Kind of an interesting front end mish-mash.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
The Isuzu is a envoy. every single part transfers over. there are only 4 differences inbetween them. the headlights are different internally, but are still transferable. the grill , but again are still transferable, the taillights but again are transferable, and the Isuzu badging. gm was like Porsche in pure laziness. Porsche has not really redesigned the 911 in forever, and neither did gm when they built the ascender .

The bravada only is different in skin. the front clip (fenders, grill, headlights, and front bumper) are different. but parts are transferable from other GMT as long as you do it completely. but everything else is transferable from pretty much every other GMT.

Essentially these trucks are all identical with only minor differences. Saab 9-7x, Oldsmobile Bravada, Isuzu Ascender, GMC Envoy, Chevrolet Trailblazer, Buick Rainier. same frame, air bags, axles , engines, etc.

I think there is 1 exception to that rule. the back half of the GMC Envoy XUV. I think they are different from the back of the rear doors back. But don't let that confuse you.

Well that's good I figured they'd be harder to get parts for

Don't forget the AWD vs the 4WD transfer case/encoder/disconnect differences. Bravada, Rainier, 9-7x are AWD, Trailblazer and Envoy are 4WD. Not sure on the Ascender. But yeah, the vast majority mechanical stuff is the same.

The Ascender has Trailblazer fog lights, by the way. Kind of an interesting front end mish-mash.

So they are always awd or selectable? My trailblazer has selectable 4hi, 4lo, 2hi, and awd

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The ascender, unless the limited model, is selectable. I am not sure about the limited.

And parts availability is going to be as good as it is for your trailblazer, unless you go to the dealer. they always claim that the bastard step child (Isuzu and Saab) were never GM. We all know they were. some dealers also know this.

The Buick Rainier, Oldsmobile Bravada, and Saab 9-7x, all is the non-selectable transfer case. but as long as you maintain them, your not going to notice a difference.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
The ascender, unless the limited model, is selectable. I am not sure about the limited.

And parts availability is going to be as good as it is for your trailblazer, unless you go to the dealer. they always claim that the bastard step child (Isuzu and Saab) were never GM. We all know they were. some dealers also know this.

The Buick Rainier, Oldsmobile Bravada, and Saab 9-7x, all is the non-selectable transfer case. but as long as you maintain them, your not going to notice a difference.

Alright I'll have to check them all out

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online