How long should it be able to sit.....battery losing charge.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
My Envoy sits sometimes for weeks at a time without being driven. Lately I've noticed in about 7 days, it cranks slow. Sometimes barely starting but still able to get it going.

I've been reading and testing for parasitic draw. I have found no voltage draws on any of the regular fuses from the box under the hood or under the rear seat.

I'm thinking I might just have a bad battery. It's a relatively new Interstate battery from Costco. Less than 1 year old.

My previous DuraLast Gold battery would last for months between use and never gave me any troubles.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
"A typical car battery will drain in 2-3 weeks and be unable to start your car due to the parasitic draw from the car’s electronics. With the negative terminal disconnected, a healthy car battery will only self-discharge at 5% per month."

Source:

Reactions: Redbeard

PProph

Dec 7, 2011
Further to this, the more your vehicle sits and the battery drains, the faster it's going to go on you. This is also exacerbated by cold weather climates.

Reactions: mrrsm

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I had a similar issue towards the middle of the pandemic, when the shutdowns began. Being on furlough, meant my truck would sit for days or a week at a time without being started. Sure enough, it would slow crank but kick over. The moment the outside temp would hit anywhere under 50*F, it wouldn't even crank. The issue becomes more well known as the battery ages, especially if you're in a climate where its prone to hot, or very cold temps. Ever since I swapped out my battery for an AGM one, the longest my truck sat for was about 3 weeks. Got in, and it cranked right over like it was a yesterday. I usually unplug phone chargers and whatnot from the outlets out of habit, the draw isn't much but its better then letting it add on top of the additional draw when its sitting.

Reactions: mrrsm

2x1968muscle

Dec 4, 2011
You might try one of those small solar panels that sit on the dashboard and plug into the cigarette lighter. ?Assuming you dont park in a garage

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
See my other post for details....not a bad battery or parasitic draw....bad starter...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher