How long Does symptoms of P0014 go away after changing cam shaft solenoid

nbenjamin

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Let me see if I can make sense
Truck acting up again. had A P0014 and the usual stalling rough static idle , cam shaft solenoid missing screens etc. Changed it along with over due oil change. I notice it was getting harder to start just before I changed solenoid. Changed it nice clean oil idle is good , but still hard to start sometimes. I didn’t clear the code cause I am trying to get all status ready for emission test . I did notice the eng light went out after a couple cold starts but when I did a code read the P0014 was still there even though engine light was off. Anyways I cleaned the code today and gonna see how it goes over the next couple days.
Was curious if hard start was because if sticky cam shaft solenoid how long does it or should it take to relearn to get variable timing back on track ?
Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's always better to clear codes whenever you repair something as codes can sometimes stay in history or pending. Gives the PCM a fresh start. Shouldn't take long at all. I don't even think there's a relearn involved for the VVT.

Hopefully all those missing screens didn't muck up the cam phaser. If you use the newest ACDelco version, they have retention wires added to prevent this.

nbenjamin

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
It's always better to clear codes whenever you repair something as codes can sometimes stay in history or pending. Gives the PCM a fresh start. Shouldn't take long at all. I don't even think there's a relearn involved for the VVT.

Hopefully all those missing screens didn't muck up the cam phaser. If you use the newest ACDelco version, they have retention wires added to prevent this.

Screens were still there just opened , I notice the online ones had retention wires the one I got here locally didn't have any I think the Dorman make I got

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Dorman are junk.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
When I replaced the VVT in my old 02 Envoy, I used Dorman as well. It was fine for about an oil change before throwing the same code again, pulled it out and the screens were gone. Found a dealer locally that had the newer revised version for about the same price as Amazon (shocker), once it was installed it worked fine for the first 15k before everything started to crap out on the engine and electronically.

I don't recall actually having to clear the code once the sensor was swapped.

Last edited:

Kelly@PCMofNC

Mar 16, 2013
Once you clear it, it should stay off (if it is fixed) and should run normal right away.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Third, on agreeing Dorman is junk. Buy the AC Delco version from amazon for half the price and then go return the Dorman you purchased on a warranty return. You're going to need those retaining wires for sure!

Edit: I didn't know O'Reilly's sold Dorman. I guess the AC Delco would be a few dollars more, but worth it for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online