How hot is too hot?

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
The 2002 Bravada Im buying tomorrow runs at 220f-225f, per live data read by my scanner. The gauge goes like 1/4" past the half mark. :confused:

My 2002 Envoy that I sold last year NEVER went about 205f. Even when I towed (courtesy of scan gauge 2 data!)

Isnt that kind of high?

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Mine runs between 200° and 206°F. Sounds like your t-stat is stuck closed. However, boiling point for the coolant is somewhere around 250°F, assuming the rest of the system is functioning properly.

Too hot is 1,220°F when the aluminum starts to melt.

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
DJones said:
Mine runs between 200° and 206°F. Sounds like your t-stat is stuck closed. However, boiling point for the coolant is somewhere around 250°F, assuming the rest of the system is functioning properly.

Too hot is 1,220°F when the aluminum starts to melt.

LOL. Ok, Ill keep an eye out that my temp gauge doesnt make it to that ominous 1220f line :biggrin:

My first order of business is to change all the fluids. I still have most of the oils/fluids/filters left over from when I owned my Envoy. I even have a spare serp. belt hanging on a nail in the garage. :thumbsup:

The coolant in the reservoir is not dex-cool, whatever it is. Its orange-ish but looks like something other than dex. Ill flush that crap out.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
If you're draining the fluid, may as well replace the t-stat while the radiator is empty. I'd even consider replacing the radiator hoses, given their age.

Dex-cool is weird stuff. I've seen factory-fill that looked almost pink and I've seen Prestone Dex-cool (in the silver jug with orange cap) that was orange.

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I wanted to update this thread.

I was noticing temps of 220-225f on my scan tool and my temp gauge would go as far as the 3/4 mark on the gauge.

I did my usual "new used car" maintenance package. Oil change with synthetic, start slowly changing the trans fluid, etc.

Cant say for sure but I think my trans was overheating. The fluid was brown, and once I siphoned eight quarts out over two days and replaced it with new fluid, I never saw the engine temps go high again. As a matter of fact, I never saw the ECT go past 215f after I did the trans fluid change. Couldve been the synthetic oil too, I suppose.

Dont know how much the temperature of the trans fluid affects the radiator or using synthetic engine oil, but it got me to thinking is overheating from (insert internal trans problem here) the why my trans just took a crap AND my engine temps were high?

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
could be.

so what are you going to do with the trans?

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
meerschm said:
could be.

so what are you going to do with the trans?

I had it towed to the trans shop about 2 hours ago... they closed at 5 so I gave the key to my Dad, he used to rebuild transmissions for them but retired about 5 years ago. So my Dad is gonna go over there tomorrow morning, shoot the shit with his friends at the shop and give them my keys.

Update to come! Hopefully some pictures of the carnage, which sounds a lot like somebody tossed a handful of nuts and bolts in the trans and sealed it back up :eek:

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
stormsurge said:
Its to hot when you have a discharge before you get in it.:biggrin:

No, thats just too bad :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online