How do you wash your GMT?

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
We have every other thread you can imagine here and I guess curiosity killed the cat with this one. I'm curious to see who uses what method and why.

For me, I go to the coin wash and use my debit card, unlimited time. I mainly only use the water and foam based items. I only use the brush on my wheels and tires. Once I'm done, I dry with Kirkland microfiber towels. I don't wax since it precipitates at least twice a week here.

Anyone do it differently?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Garden hose and zip wax in my dirveway. I use the brush on the windshield and roof, cotton towel for the rest. Dry it off with a leaf blower then finish with a beach towel. Haven't waxed her in two years still beads fine.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Not often enough but...I use a 2 bucket system. 1 for soapy water and the other for rinsing the lambs wool mitt after each panel. Both buckets have grit guards in them.

Start at the roof and work my way down. I use low pressure for a final rinse and dry with waffle weave towels.

Don't wax but I occasionally use Turtle Wax Ice on it. All the plastic and leather get Aerospace 303 protectant. Tyres get Optimum Opti-bond. Glass get a 3:1 mix of denatured alcohol and water in a spray bottle using old newspaper.

Reactions: Redbeard

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
During the summer months it mostly gets washed by nature. If i want it clean ill take it to the http://themetroautospa.com/ and run it through the tunnel wash. Winter, i frequent the auto spa, laser wash, after every snow event that i drive in. Tunnel wash if i want it very clean. Both spray the undercarriage but the laser wash doesn't always get everything clean, on top and sides, like the tunnel wash does.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Touchless car wash, mostly. The undercarriage spray I feel is of benefit, particularly in the winter.

I need to hand wash the thing and get some good coats of wax on it.

Reactions: djthumper

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
During the warmer months, I hand wash my TB about once a week in my driveway. The only time I use a touchless car wash is during the winter months.

I have my own pressure washer that I use to give my TB a good rinse and blow off road grime and bugs. I use a microfiber pad on an extension pole for the sides, roof, windshield, rear window, and hood. I use the hand mitt for the front/rear bumper and any other tight areas. I also use the hand mitt on my wheels and exhaust tip lastly. I use Meguiar's ultimate wash&wax soap in bucket of hot water.

Once the TB is rinsed off, I use Absorber's drying towel to hand dry the entire truck so there are no water spots. The towel will also pick up anything that I have missed. Then I use Meguiar's glass cleaner on the windows with a microfiber cloth and Meguiar's high gloss gel on the tires. Start to finish is about 2.5 hrs.

Interior takes me about as long. Carpet and headliner get cleaned with my ArmorAll shop vac. The shop vac has a small attachment with a brush on the end to get all of the dust out of the crevasses. Then I use Meguiar's interior detail spray on the entire interior. I use Meguiar's gold class leather cleaner and conditioner on my seats.

Reactions: xavierny25

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
I mainly just take it through mikes car wash but occasionally I spray it off at the pay car wash or hand wash it at home but I feel mikes does the best. I'm eventually going to get a pressure washer and foam cannon, driving a clean car just makes me feel good haha

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Oh, I clean the tires with spray nine btw. Just don't let it sit on the rims and partially dry. It'll ruin them...

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Typical upkeep throughout the warmer parts of the year consists of:

Garden hose, meguiars soap, wacky wash mitt/bucket for body
Long handled brush, another wacky mitt, and another bucket for wheel wells, wheels, tires, bumpers, rockers
Turtle wax bug and tar with a stringy sponge thingy for headlights, windshield, cowl, grille, and side mirrors
Absorber for drying
Black box detail spray with microfibers

Once a year it gets clay bar, paint cleaner, wax, door jams, engine bay, etc then it's just keeping up with it.

20151011_123500 - Copy.jpg

Probably the last good pic for a while (taken oct 2015). Since then, the clear coat is coming off bad on most of the passenger side and drivers is starting to peel too.

hrddrv

Dec 4, 2011
Since I live on a dirt road off of a dirt road I let nature wash my vehicles mostly. I actually have not washed the Tralblazer in 3 years. It has gotten a somewhat wash from the automotive repair shop about 2 years ago. The funny is I was just thinking since it has now become the second vehicle and not the main vehicle I should probably give it a good washing, waxing, and thorough interior cleaning.

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
Garden hose, SONAX Wash & Wax and then artificial deerskin to dry it all and polish the wax layer.
However I'm contemplating taking it to some professional wash shop before winter to apply some more substantial wax layer.
I also neglected undercarriage wash after the last winter :rolleyes: Need to do it next year to make sure my precious almost-rust-free Italian bottom stays that way.

Anyone roadsaltproofing their bottom somehow?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Touchless car wash for the most part lately. There is a car wash that I take it to when the weather holds out and I am not going out with the Scouts.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Anyone roadsaltproofing their bottom somehow?

The method I have used over the past 8 years is hitting a touchless car wash that has undercarriage sprayers at least once a week during the winter months. Seems to do the job as I do not have any rust issues.

I also clay bar once a yr and deep wash and wax twice a yr.

I am slacking on those two steps. Since moving, my TB is in direct sunlight most of the day and it does not fit in my garage :no:

Reactions: xavierny25

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I slide underneath with the hose to clean the undercarriage. Works seemingly well.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online