How do you know if DRLs is running 100%

phanpride

Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Hi, I did a cap mod when I installed the HIDs, got them from HIDMasters

I was wondering how can you tell if the cap mod was done right? I also use a relay harness for my HID

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Turn the headlight switch to ON.

If there is a change in brightness, the DRL's are not at 100%.

phanpride

Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
well the HID's just get brighter has it warms up, isn't it supposed to get brighter? However when it is fully warmed up the brightness is the same after turning it off and on.

I was also wondering if testing the voltage will tell me that the lights are running at 100%?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
phanpride said:
well the HID's just get brighter has it warms up, isn't it supposed to get brighter? However when it is fully warmed up the brightness is the same after turning it off and on.

I was also wondering if testing the voltage will tell me that the lights are running at 100%?

I should've been clearer.

Yes, if the DRL's are already warmed up, there should be no change when you switch to headlight mode.

The DRL's don't run at a reduced voltage. It is run 70% ON and 30% OFF. Like flipping a switch ON and OFF very fast.

That's also why the relay in the HID harness will buzz without the capacitor mod.

phanpride

Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
thank you, Wooluf1952

I was wondering have you ever seen a relay harness with two females and male connectors?

I have seen many relay harness like this, however, on mines i have an extra female connector (blue and black wires) next to number 1
View attachment 20377

Normally you should only have 2 connectors to the ballasts and 1 connector to the housing, should i connect both the housing?

Attachments

• HIDrelay.jpg
    HIDrelay.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 53

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
phanpride said:

I tried this without a scope once. In DRL, I had 10.Xv (engine off) and 12.Xv (engine on). Another way to tell would be if your meter has an analog bar at the bottom, it will go nuts when reading a pulsed DRL signal. Like woolf said, if your relay isn't chattering in DRL or perimeter lighting modes, it's safe to say that the cap mod was a success.

phanpride said:
should i connect both the housing?

Nah, because it will more then likely pop fuses with both connected.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online