How do you heat your garage?

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Well it got cold here and I have to get the transmission back in.

Plus there's stuff I'd be happy to do yet this winter.

The carbon monoxide thing makes me a little leery of propane heaters, and at the same time I'm not sure how many amps I can run between lights, and a small computer with display for manuals, and the air compressor, but even when I figure it out I'm sure adding an electric heating element with a fan is going to put me over on that circuit.

What do you do?

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
:iagree:...I just put on coveralls, shut all overhead and walk-out doors an get busy.

Was going to add a wood burning stove with a flu thur the ceiling/roof till I found out our insurance company wouldn't cover the house anymore if I did. So that was shot down.

Reactions: Redbeard

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
See, yeah, if I had to tough it out because I was working on my daily driver, I suppose I would just do what I had to do. Because I have. Somewhere on here are pictures of me replacing the steering rack outside in the snow.

Fortunately, for the moment, this is more for fun.

I think I am going to try this electric http://www.sears.com/craftsman-ceramic-workshop-heater/p-03290285000P

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When I used to have a garage, I had a 3000w construction type square heater that worked very well. But then I had an 80A service into that garage and this heater needed 30A.

I miss my garage.

Reactions: Matt

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Wood stove with a blower. The Emerald Ash Borers are providing plenty of free fuel...Mike.
ps real toasty in there...

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
I have a newer pellet stove in my house that works real good,...Im currently looking for an older used one I can put in the garage.

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
80 amps! That must have been awesome. I have one 15-amp breaker heading out to the garage.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
You guys are funny, my truck may fit in the garage but that is about it. Getting in and out is about impossible and you can't walk around the thing. You'd think for a house built in the 60s they'd have a garage that would fit a car of the era. Guess it was built for a beetle. The be vette is okay if you center it. You sidestep to walk around all sides but that's it. It's the only one I can work on in there. And not comfortably either. I have an oil heater, 1500 watts, I use that and I have this little fireplace that runs on the mini propane tanks. That with the heater for an hour will get the garage to 58 when it's pretty cold out low 20s and then just the electric heater will keep it around 63 which is fine with me. (I don't like to keep the fire on for lack of oxygen...) If I'm smart I drive the thing get it hot and pull it in and let the 230 degree motor warm up the space. Then the heater keeps up. Two 1500 watt heaters one ceramic and the other the oil one had that garage at 65 when it was around 10 outside. I'm lucky because even though it's 2x3 construction all the walls are insulated so that works. Then the ceramic one almost burnt the house down and I haven't replaced it since. Luckily I was standing next to it when it died.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
You guys are funny, my truck may fit in the garage but that is about it. Getting in and out is about impossible and you can't walk around the thing. You'd think for a house built in the 60s they'd have a garage that would fit a car of the era. Guess it was built for a beetle. The be vette is okay if you center it. You sidestep to walk around all sides but that's it. It's the only one I can work on in there. And not comfortably either. I have an oil heater, 1500 watts, I use that and I have this little fireplace that runs on the mini propane tanks. That with the heater for an hour will get the garage to 58 when it's pretty cold out low 20s and then just the electric heater will keep it around 63 which is fine with me. (I don't like to keep the fire on for lack of oxygen...) If I'm smart I drive the thing get it hot and pull it in and let the 230 degree motor warm up the space. Then the heater keeps up. Two 1500 watt heaters one ceramic and the other the oil one had that garage at 65 when it was around 10 outside. I'm lucky because even though it's 2x3 construction all the walls are insulated so that works. Then the ceramic one almost burnt the house down and I haven't replaced it since. Luckily I was standing next to it when it died.
I feel you, man. My house was built in '86, and my TB just fits in there so I can open one side but not the other. What the crap, housebuilders!?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Bach then, garages were considered like sheds rather than a place for a vehicle, especially when built on postage stamp sized lots.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have a single head and double head unit like those and they work great in our hunting cabin. Have used in the garage as well. I would buy a double head for sure though if only having one.

Reactions: jsheahawk

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
We use a wood stove with a blower. Shop area is 30x40x18. Can get it up to 70F when its 15F outside. But you have to use good hardwood or you will be feeding it a lot to keep it hot enough. Free white oak scraps from the amish saw mill is the perfect fuel.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Bach then, garages were considered like sheds rather than a place for a vehicle, especially when built on postage stamp sized lots.
I guess. Then again my grandmothers house is the same age and you could keep the boat in that garage... I'd kill for that. You'd be able to work on the Sierra in there and still have the second one for the other one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.