Hot cv axle

burg99

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
Hi everyone, I have a 2003 olds Bravada and I lost my AWD about s year ago. I just installed a new front diff, intermediate shaft and coupler in the awd disconnect. Got everything together and I have Awd back but, I noticed that the awd disconnect and cv axle are hot. Hot to were I can grab them but cannot hold my hand on them. Any thoughts? I'm thinking the driver side is cool because it's in diff oil. While the passenger side is mounted on a hot oil pan and only has grease in the disconnect and no way to cool. There is a lot of heat transferring between parts I'm I on the right track and should I worry?

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
ehhh honestly. if there is not grease splattered everywhere under there from a boot rip. especially if you're lifted and the boot stretched. also if you have any play in the hub itself. if not then i dont see it being an issue. its either getting hot from friction and lack of lubrication or just being hot from heat transfer

burg99

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
I appreciate the response. My dad said the same thing. As long as I don't smell burning grease I'm good. He said its a piss poor design.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I dont see the diff oil as really cooling the driver cv honestly. When you pulled the pass cv how did the joints feel?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If it comes down to cases and you have to do this Passenger Side CV R&R Repair Job...This video has some Generic Watching Value (This vehicle is a 4X4 Envoy)… just as an opportunity of seeing the disassembly work up close and personal (and quite cramped , too) … and offers another lesson in what can go wrong when you get in rush… or become too “Heavy Handed” when removing Electrical Connectors: Violence and Electrical Interfaces… NOT Good Bedfellows... and Spraying CRC Freeze-Off the night before on most of the Rusted Fasteners will make things a bit easier:

And a "Professional Garage" R&R Version:

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
He just had it all apart and did the disco swap/ repair... which means he has knowledge of removing and replacing the CV

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Yes... But many of the New Members who will visit this very post in the future seeking a solution to a similar "HOT CV AXLE" ...and never having done this repair or have the OP's Mechanical Skill Set... just might appreciate knowing this data exists...and so there is nothing that says anything pejorative in the videos against the OP by mentioning this. But... If you see no value in the entry...By all means...please delete it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I understand the info being good, but are you implying that he needs a new CV axle due to it being hot or did you avoid helping with his actual issue?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
My interpretation of what he said in Post #1 was that the CV Shaft side of the Differential was Ice Cold and the the CV (Constant Velocity) axle on the Passenger side was getting hot enough to Fry an Egg... so in my thinking it occurred that the only practical solution "...if it comes down to cases" would be to replace it because its internal components were making improper frictional interactions under varying inputs of acceleration...flexing in and out...and therefore..be the reason why it was getting so hot. It follows that the only way to solve the problem would be to R&R the CV-Axle component.

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Interesting interpretation. Taking cool to ice cold and touchable to frying an egg. You certainly take things to extreme.

Be interesting to see if it is typical or if it is something different, since no one seems to have even determined that yet. Next time I drive mine I will see if the shafts are equal temp or not. Hate to R&R if not actually needed.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I know it is a different platform but I'll check my Silverado right when I get home from work. Both CVs are into the diff housing so it isn't an apples to apples comparison but it may be worth something.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Well... I was paraphrasing what the OP mentioned and while the temperature differences he describes here as compared with mine may not be as "extreme" as my comparisons were...

"I noticed that the awd disconnect and cv axle are hot. Hot to were I can grab them but cannot hold my hand on them. Any thoughts? I'm thinking the driver side is cool because it's in diff oil.

But...the important thing is that if the internal splines, either at the transmission take off point...or at the varying turn angles the vehicle experiences that will cause un-lubricated or sand filled outer CV cups...the power and torque of the engine experienced under these condition will cause loose or dry components to rub together hard enough to make them too hot to touch. I would not think this impression too hyperbolic to answer why things are so warm.

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I can read...no need to highlight and colorize the words that are the keys to this thread. I prefer to not add my own twist to it and allow the OP to state things as he was there to witness.

Hence why I previously asked him how the CV joints felt when apart. To see if they may be the root of it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just installed a new front diff, intermediate shaft and coupler in the awd disconnect.

What do you mean that you replaced the coupler? And I would imagine that you replaced any worn out parts inside like bearings?

Another thing is that they are attached to the oil pan so maybe they're just the same temperature as the pan? If you have an infrared temp reader, would be useful to compare between them.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The coupler....do you mean the sleeve like this that is different form the typical select-able 4x4 disconnect guts?
AWD-Sleeve-2.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Have you recently installed a Lift Kit on your vehicle? This last Monday around Noon, @Nexus1155 reported that after elevating his Envoy 3”… This occurred… and even though this involves a different vehicle… I was wondering if the principle problem of an added change of angle for the transmission of torque is involved in creating this excessive heat:

“So. I have my envoy lifted 3 inches and the axles spit their grease everywhere bc of the lift no doubt about it. I remedied it by putting extra clamps on the boot but not under they violently failed and caught the axle on fire while driving. I ended up replacing the hub. Axle. Abs sensor and the upper ball joint that fell apart in pieces. What a f'in mess. Ill upload pics when i can. Do it now before that hum turns into a catastrophe... “

http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/damaged-cv-boot-vibration-pulsation-above-35-mph.15213/

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Seriously...

We should also ask him if the brakes are sticking and nearing fire temps cause that could warm up the cv as well.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I wonder if the sun was only hitting that side and heated up the shaft?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I wonder if he lowered it and the cv angle is ajar causing the heat to build up. Could lock up the CV and cause the truck to endo and fly up and over on its top and slide down the road into a busload of nuns on a bridge and knock the bus right into the water and drown the holiness.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Ordinarily... I would appreciate taking a humorous "angle" on this thread, too. But if we asked @Nexus1155 what it felt like for his Envoy to catch fire... I doubt that he would he would get what was so funny about what caused his axle to heat up to the point of the CV Rubber unit... exploding and bursting into flames under his vehicle. So if you know precisely what the cause is ...and can discount any and all other possibilities and ideas... however far-fetched ... please tell us what is actually happening here... without all the unnecessary ridicule.

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Where the hell did you get that he lifted his AWD in the first place? I agree it sucks for the one that had the fire, but I have addressed finding the real cause of that in that thread, not brought its oddity to this thread where at this junction it HAS NO BEARING.

Based on your random posts in here i am just spitballing crazy ideas as well. We both wondered about the cv joint heating and needing replaced, but I asked and then you jumped off the damn deep end with it before the OP had a chance to even answer.

burg99

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
Man I didn't mean to cause such a ruckus here with this post but anyways no the truck is not lifted it is not lowered the driver side is warm it is not a hot it is not ice cold probably normal temperature and the passenger side is not so hot that you can fry an egg on it but it's hot to the touch where I cannot cut my hand around it and keep it there. Probably about the same temperatures as of oil pan hence my ferry on the heat transfer from oil pan to four-wheel-drive disconnect to CV axle. The CV axle was fine when I removed it so I put it back in and yes I change to sleep in the four-wheel-drive actuator and all the other parts seemed fine.

Reactions: mrrsm

burg99

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
I just drove 30 miles and it was hot to the touch when I got there but no grease all over no smell of burning Grease got home same result

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Well... I'm glad that this is all very good News! The Best Stories... Always have a Happy Ending!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sounds like it would be good for a few of us to see if this temp difference is typical. When I drive mine this weekend I will try to check and see if I get a similar result.

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
yeah guys, i explained it and posted pictures in the other thread. i drove from MA to NJ and back and on the way back it started popping really bad. pulled over and sprayed some grease. still making a horrible noise. got all the way home parked it and it was stuck there. started to walk away from the car and saw it smoking from the axle and ran to the house and grabbed some bottles of water. it sizzled off instantly. and grease exploded everywhere. obviously hot boiling grease + water and melting boot = bad. broke the hub. axle. ball joint. brake caliper bolts, abs sensor.

OOQrhNs.jpg

myjDzUP.jpg

i17hh30.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.