Horn won't work

AppleJack

Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
Good morning,
'02 TBlazer LTZ Well, it works if I turn wheel approx 20 degrees in either direction. But will not honk when straight ahead.
Anyone else experienced this? I'm imagining some sort of copper disc down in the bowels of the steering column that has a dead spot on it. Is this anything like what I'm up against?
What's the procedure for fixing this issue?
Thanks in advance...

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Good morning,
'02 TBlazer LTZ Well, it works if I turn wheel approx 20 degrees in either direction. But will not honk when straight ahead.
Anyone else experienced this? I'm imagining some sort of copper disc down in the bowels of the steering column that has a dead spot on it. Is this anything like what I'm up against?
What's the procedure for fixing this issue?
Thanks in advance...
If you pull out the air bag, then remove the nut and pull off the actual wheel you'll see a pin behind the shaft that rides on a copper disc and if it is anything like my envoy was, it'll be dented. Remove the snap ring on the shaft and a retaining clip and the spring will pop out. Remove that disc and remove the pad by bending off the tabs. I used a bead of hot glue to space it off and it's worked well since. Somewhere there is a picture or two of it. I think it's in my horn not working thread. Let me see if I can dig it up.

Edit: here you go. Last post has what it looks like. The plastic part has the ring.

http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/2002-envoy-horn-not-working.11594/

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Not a problem. Any thing to help. :tiphat:

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Another solution is to place a starter switch on the floor board connected to the horn. Mash the switch with your foot to engage the horn. First hand free horn I ever had. And it worked great. And cheap. It sure messes with the friends when they hear the horn, but your hand is not engaging the horn on the steering wheel.

just my 2¢
redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online