Horn Not working...

isaacmaple08

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Fort Wayne,IN & Tyler,TX
Hey guys checked here and on the Old Site and maybe i'm overlooking something but i'm not seeing anything with problems in regards to the horn, basically the horn on the steering wheel doesn't work if your press it...however if you press the "lock" button on the FOB it chirps the regular honk from the horn, i've checked all fuses relating to the horn is their anything I could be missing or might try?

Thanks in advance!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! You've done exactly the right thing. If the security chirp happens, then the horn, fuse, relay, and most of the wiring is ruled out. That leaves the horn contact behind the steering wheel airbag, which slides on a slip ring that can get greased up and quit conducting. You can experiment easily on this without disconnecting the battery, as long as you're careful to not unplug the air bag. You just get the airbag out of the steering wheel by pushing small round tools in a couple of holes.

clockspring01.jpg

clockspring02.jpg

clockspring03.jpg

The item with the red wires is the horn contact. Ground the red wire and see if it honks. Remove with a 1/4 turn to clean it.

clockspring17.jpg

clockspring18.jpg

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Roadie you are the man, most people wouod never know to pull the bag like that, i myself assumed it was bolted on:thumbup:

isaacmaple08

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Fort Wayne,IN & Tyler,TX
Thanks a ton Roadie! that did the trick and its working perfectly now! :biggrin: Now I can actually honk instead of having to give the finger to all these cracker jack box license holding folks here in Monroe :tongue:

isaacmaple08

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Fort Wayne,IN & Tyler,TX
It appears it was just some oil/grease on the copper contacts cleaning that off looks like it fixed it, I only tested it 2was times after fitting the air bag back on since neighbors/kids were outside...will check again after I leave for work in about an hour or 2. Thanks again :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online