NEED HELP Horendous Noise from Dads Yukon Denali

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Hi everyone

This popped up a few days ago and has gotten louder and louder.

There is a sound coming from the front right tire that sound as if some metal thing has broken and is scraping the ground. Although when I jacked the truck up to look at it everything seemed fine.

The dealership are trying to get the whole front axle changed!

One thing of importance is that my Dad had changed the shocks from the compressed ones to regular Yukon shocks which I believe was a mistake.

All help would be greatly appreciated

I am riding on the fact that it may be the shocks

Some pictures and videos for reference

WP_20160619_13_28_56_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160619_13_28_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20160619_13_28_46_Moment.jpg

WP_20160619_13_26_25_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160619_13_25_16_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160619_13_23_47_Pro_LI.jpg

*#Videos I will upload to Youtube and then post here in a while#*

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
From the last picture, would look to me that the upper control arm bushings are shot with the arm contacting the metal bracket. They are a regular source of creaking type noise.

I couldn't hear anything on any of the videos except for a constant "ticking" like a turn signal. But I was using my laptop speakers so could be me.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Well I did have the flashers on to avoid anyone speeding into me !! I will try to get better videos tomorrow. It is a metal creaking sound more like being dragged on the ground

What are your comments for the Shocks replacement my Dad did. He went out and did the replacement without even telling me! I would have made him replace with original Denali Compressor Shocks. It has been the cause of a lot of other problems!! :Banghead:

Would you suggest replacing the whole control arm or just the bushings? And are they available as spare parts?

:thankyou:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Do you have a stone in your backing plate behind the brake rotor? Is the backing plate scraping the rusty portion of the rotor?

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
The noise occurs when moving or turning, no real difference at higher speeds. My dad told me that he put the car on a lift and both front wheels kinda bended inwards, suggesting Control Arms......

I told him to try changing the bushes first before trying a control arm change

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's normal for the front wheel geometry to change a bit when off the ground, especially the toe-in.

Bad wheel bearings the noise will change with wheel speed and is a whirring sound/groaning type noise.

I'm also thinking a brake dust shield bent and rubbing on the disk.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online