Hopefully not the end

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Hey everyone. Well, I checked my oil level yesterday, took the fill cap off to add just a little and my heart sank. I noticed there was a yellowish brownish slime on the inside of the cap which I think is an indication of coolant in the oil! It was just a little and there was nothing on the dipstick and the coolant level seems good. I will have it pressure tested when I can but wanted to know what you guys think. Leaking head gasket or condensation, temp where I live has been around 30 degrees on average. It is the 4.2L. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
How far do you drive? It could also be an indication that you are running it enough to burn crap out.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Short drive will also cause that. I'm thinking you don't have a problem...

Reactions: Mounce

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If the oil itself is fine, I wouldn't worry. The cap, being the coolest part of the engine, will have condensation form there and mix with the oil mist and just hang there. Just wipe it and monitor.

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Thanks for the help everyone. I will definitely keep an eye on it. I don't have any experience with these engines. Also yes, most almost all the driving I do is to the store, work and back only about 2 or 3 miles a day. Short trips. So, as long as there is no slime on the end of the dipstick I'm good?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yup.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
If you want to be safe, just keep an eye on the coolant level

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
it is scary to see, but a nonissue!

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
OP, if you don't already, it may be worth it to make up a reason to drive your truck for 10-15 minutes once a week or so. Your use case is one of the worst possible (lots of cold starts, rarely up to operating temp). Making sure that you get up to temp will bake impurities and water out of your oil. People laugh about "Italian Tune-Ups" but the science is sound.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
When I worked 7 miles from home I used to get this all the time on various cars and trucks I owned back then.

Reactions: Matt and Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online