Homemade rock sliders

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Very nice. You seem to know what you want to do with it. Assume you know about Offroadtb.com where the functional offroaders also hang out and talk about stuff we weld up and bend?

03VOY

Original poster
May 20, 2014
Roadie, yeah ive been there and have gotten alot of great info from there, great site. Was under the impression that the nation was the new bigger and better place.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
03VOY said:
Roadie, yeah ive been there and have gotten alot of great info from there, great site. Was under the impression that the nation was the new bigger and better place.
:rotfl:

Truth be told, we are more of a happy family. ORTB is very specialized in to the off-road aspects of the GMT360. We support each other..... its very symbiotic. :cool:

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
Looks nice! Shows how simple it is to do home fabrication. I presume that you will fab stand-offs from the frame rails to keep them in place.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
glfredrick said:
Looks nice! Shows how simple it is to do home fabrication. I presume that you will fab stand-offs from the frame rails to keep them in place.
Not sure how this shows the simplicity... It takes tools that most do not own to build something like these.

OP-- Nicely done. Looking forward to seeing them mounted and in action.

03VOY

Original poster
May 20, 2014
glfredrick said:
Looks nice! Shows how simple it is to do home fabrication.
I ment homemade as in i had the metal sitting around and some time to burn, not saying its very hard but you have to have an idea what you are doing. As HARDTRAILZ said it takes the tools.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Nice

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
Not sure how this shows the simplicity... It takes tools that most do not own to build something like these.

OP-- Nicely done. Looking forward to seeing them mounted and in action.
i guess that because I have the tools and do stuff like this all the time, I see it as rather simple.

Nice work though! They fit well and I like the upward tilt. Looks better and often performs better that way.

What does it take to do work like this?

One can do it with these tools (I have):

Harbor Freight Pipe Bender ($100 on sale + one can use 20% discount codes on top of that):

http://www.harborfreight.com/http-www-harborfreight-com-12-ton-hydraulic-pipe-bender-32888-html.html

Hole saw kit (and one need not buy an entire kit, just the particular saw that fits the tube used) ($35)

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-piece-bi-metal-hole-saw-set-68113-8472.html

Heavy-Duty 1/2" drill (and one CAN get by with a homeowners cordless drill of 18 volts) ($50)

Wire welder -- flux core ($120)

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-68887-8494.html

Are there BETTER tools? Yup... I have them.

Will those work to build sliders and bumpers from common pipe (which holds up great in off-road use)? Absolutely!

For around $300-350 one can make about as many sets of sliders as they like and recoup the money spent on tools, or invest in better tools like a true MIG welder with some capacity.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Did you bolt or weld them to the frame?

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
@03Voy, I gotta ask... those bends look really clean, like a mandrell bend. Did you do them with a bender like glfrederick listed above, or are you using something a bit more...expensive? I've looked at that HF bender before, but I was afraid it would just do a collapsed-style bend (like you see with exhaust pipe), which doesn't look good and probably compromises the strength of the pipe.

03VOY

Original poster
May 20, 2014
I welded them to the frame. And the tubing bender i used is one we have at work.. Its one of them that goes on yr shop press. Its a PITA to use but it does pritty good job.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Shdwdrgn said:
@03Voy, I gotta ask... those bends look really clean, like a mandrell bend. Did you do them with a bender like glfrederick listed above, or are you using something a bit more...expensive? I've looked at that HF bender before, but I was afraid it would just do a collapsed-style bend (like you see with exhaust pipe), which doesn't look good and probably compromises the strength of the pipe.
my bumper tubes are a glorified HF bender.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher