Homelink Transmitter Issue

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Suddenly, the garage doors are not responding to the Homelink buttons programmed. It seems only if I am parked inside the garage will the Homelink buttons open or close the doors. My other car a 2013 Equinox has no issues opening either door from any reasonable distance. Any ideas? Thanks

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Does it always work if you are close enough? If so, only working in close proximity suggests poor signal quality, either as transmitted or as received. Has there been any disruption to the area around the Homelink transmitter in the vehicle (e.g replacing overhead reading bulbs)? Any changes to the antennas on the garage door openers?

Last edited:

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Not working sometimes when just on the other side of the garage door. Other vehicle has no issues with opening the door. No idea the Homelink was prone to failure as seen other post here. No work done on inside of vehicle.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I had my opener stop opening for my homelink but still work for the included remote and found that it was due to me installing CFL low wattage bulbs. I switched to LEDs and it got worse. The oddball solution that I "hail marry"'d was to extend the wire my opener uses as an antenna out to the end of the garage all the way to the door - just a single wire. Now my homelink works from the end of my street (about 100 yards) and the included remote works from farther than that. Cheap, simple solution - maybe worth a try. I just split some speaker wire and ran it through my rafters to the front wall and up a little. Cost me nearly $0.

Reactions: Matt and Blckshdw

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Indeed makes perfect sense but doens’t explain why the Homelink In my other GM car has no issues opening the doors. The CFL change out issue is one of RFI being generated by the light circuit including any dimmers you might have added in combination with the light change out. So extending the antenna on the opener belps to “boost” the received signal just enough to overcome the broadband noise on the frequency of the opener. The same principal could improve the reception in my case as well given the homelink in my car has obviously diminished.

Thanks for the tip.

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
ALSO, anyone know if the NCM eould require programing if I swapped out the homelink from one in a salvage yard?

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
ALSO, anyone know if the NCM eould require programing if I swapped out the homelink from one in a salvage yard?
I presume you mean BCM.... typos.... but anyway.... I'd be shocked if the BCM cared one iota about homelink. I can't imagine it setting a code.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The 2 aren't related. My EXT didn't come with homelink, but I added it from a junkyard pull. Just had to program the buttons as you'd expect, and it was good to go.

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

Jkb242

Original poster
May 19, 2019
CLT
Correct did not check my spelling. Typing on the iphone often results in adjacent letters and complete garbage, thanks so much for responding!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online