Home sweet home, but short lived...

Boricua SS

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
3,080
Ohio
Well, I got the call today, and i picked up the beaSSt from the dealership... but the joy quickly turned into disappointment...

A quick overview for the newbs.. this is my 3rd motor... first one spun a bearing, 2nd started knocking the day the dealer installed it (hence the beaSSt's nickname at the meets, "Deisel"), and now the third one was just installed... i also had an oil leak on the 2nd motor, and now my power steering pump went out (or so we all thought).. turns out the steering noise was actually the column itself... sooo.. on top of a new motor, i also have a new power steering pump, and a new steering column...

i'm sure you're all thinking, "wow, awesome news, wish my truck had all that new stuff"... well, it's all short lived... For once, the motor is actually strong and quiet... purrs like a kitten.. but..... my steering wheel is as crooked as a politian :mad:, and the new motor is already leaking antifreeze!!! :hissyfit: i think its coming from the lower radiator hose.. its not hitting the fan and being slung all over the place.. its just a steady drip from the bottom... so back to the dealer i go...

20130116_165153.jpg

20130116_165041.jpg

20130116_170327.jpg

20130116_164657.jpg

20130116_170225.jpg

20130116_170230.jpg


here is the firsdt motor with the spun bearing...
[video=youtube_share;WAKfsMjBkeg]http://youtu.be/WAKfsMjBkeg[/video]

here is the 2nd "new" motor with the "Deisel" knock
[video=youtube_share;RGGJ2JPynBc]http://youtu.be/RGGJ2JPynBc[/video]

and finally, the 3rd motor just brought home today...
[video=youtube_share;H1jteYAnJUY]http://youtu.be/H1jteYAnJUY[/video]
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
You worried me at first! I thought the 3rd was a dud too :lipsrsealed:

Wheel is an easy fix, and I suspect the leak is probably some thing simple that got overlooked at first.
 

Boricua SS

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
3,080
Ohio
Sparky said:
You worried me at first! I thought the 3rd was a dud too :lipsrsealed:

Wheel is an easy fix, and I suspect the leak is probably some thing simple that got overlooked at first.

i am actually shocked and pissed all at the same time at how quiet this motor is... shocked at the quietness of it, and pissed at the dealer for telling me to go all year on that old motor that was knocking so loud, a deaf person could hear it... the video just doesnt do it justice...ive never heard my motor so quiet...

i have no doubt those items are simple fixes.. but dayum!! im tired of going up there :rotfl:... they said they road tested it... ok... you didnt notice a crooked wheel? or antifreeze leaking? i mean i could smell it immediately.. i thought it was just the new metal on the motor being broken in (like the 2nd one smelt like).. but once i saw the ground :hissyfit:... my guess is its a lower hose on the T-Stat, or the water pump gasket itself... im not sure if during the road test they ran the heater like i did today (it was only 25* here up north), but i cant think of anything else...

kjkim93 said:
Third times the charm? I love your car though!

thats what i'm thinking, well hoping :crackup:

motor definetely sounds like a keeper this time :thumbsup:
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
If it is a loose clamp or something it may not have shown up until a couple hot/cold cycles.

The wheel, well, you'd think that's obvious, but I've seen that kind of thing happen more than once.
 

AV8ER

Member
Apr 19, 2012
260
Hopefully its something minor as far as the leak. There's really no excuse for the wheel though. After all of the trouble you have had now maybe it will hold together for years to come!
 

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Member
Dec 3, 2011
8,192
Brighton, CO
Well, at least we are heading in the right direction.. A bit of a antifreeze leak is better than a rod knocking!

In one vid you are wearing a business mans white shirt, slacks, and a tie.. The next vid, ball cap on backwards... Just kinda caught me off guard LOL..
 

CaptainXL

Member
Dec 4, 2011
2,445
Hmm. Still sounds kind of wierd.sounds like the exhaust gaskets were reused. And I think your battery has seen better days. Congrats on the fix however.
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
TollKeeper said:
In one vid you are wearing a business mans white shirt, slacks, and a tie.. The next vid, ball cap on backwards... Just kinda caught me off guard LOL..

That's becuz juans a pimp!!
 

willn513

Member
Dec 4, 2011
918
Juan did you buy this new or CPO? Isn't there some sort of compensation you should be entitled to. I know it's not your dd but what if it was?? It's been in the shop more than your garage.

Still love it though, and I know you do too. It really is a testament to how bad ass these things are that you're willing to put up with all this.

Anyways good luck man!
 

Boricua SS

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
3,080
Ohio
AV8ER said:
Hopefully its something minor as far as the leak. There's really no excuse for the wheel though. After all of the trouble you have had now maybe it will hold together for years to come!

yea it should be something minor for the leak... at worst, im thinkin water pump itself.. but i think its the gasket or lower hose... my radiator was just replaced 2 years ago, and the leak isnt near the front of the truck... and it should hold together.. if i can ever make up my mind, it will be in my family for years to come, and will be built the way it was supposed to be...

TollKeeper said:
Well, at least we are heading in the right direction.. A bit of a antifreeze leak is better than a rod knocking!
In one vid you are wearing a business mans white shirt, slacks, and a tie.. The next vid, ball cap on backwards... Just kinda caught me off guard LOL..

:rotfl: good catch... the one vid was taken before heading to work.... second one, was the casual gym day attire lol...

CaptainXL said:
Hmm. Still sounds kind of wierd.sounds like the exhaust gaskets were reused. And I think your battery has seen better days. Congrats on the fix however.

yea thats just the video... it does zero justice.. kinda like exhaust vids... this motor is super quiet... i can honestly say, i dont think ive ever heard my truck run so quietly... and yea... the battery is the original from 2007 AC Delco... so I'll be gettin one this year...

jrSS said:
That's becuz juans a pimp!!

fo shizzle dizzle!!

willn513 said:
Juan did you buy this new or CPO? Isn't there some sort of compensation you should be entitled to. I know it's not your dd but what if it was?? It's been in the shop more than your garage.

Still love it though, and I know you do too. It really is a testament to how bad ass these things are that you're willing to put up with all this.

Anyways good luck man!

i bought her used.. only had 9,400 miles on her back on October 20, 2008... and love is a loose term lol... the only reason i've had her so long and have put up with all of this is simply due to having the extended warranty... without that.. this thing wouldve been traded in lsat year when the first motor went... i do still get some joy and excitement out of it.. but only time will tell... i have my goodies in my garage that im just itchin to put back on her... but i have to wait at least 1500 miles again...
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,480
Posts
639,809
Members
18,707
Latest member
obd

Members Online