Hit A Deer-Parts to Replace?

Chilly

Original poster
Jan 16, 2016
Idaho
Yep, hit a small deer dead-center at 60 plus mph. Took out most everything between the two quarter panels back to and including the fan, except the bumper and minor stuff with the radiator support. Now everything is taken apart and wide open back to that fan.

The vehicle is a keeper because of so much other work that I've done over the years. Since I have to pull the clutch to replace the fan anyway, I figured I would replace the clutch and the water pump as well because they both have 140K miles on them. The alternator was replaced around 50K. Besides the pump and the clutch, what other undamaged parts/and or sensors, etc., like the thermostat for example, should I replace during the reassembly?

smt 59

That’s a tough break, my daughters bf ran into a heard of them last year in upstate NY and wrote off his brand new Tacoma TRD sport. Any way it sounds like your on the right track with the undamaged parts, I would have the frame checked to make sure it was not bent or diamonded before repairing.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Glad to hear (assume) that no one was hurt. Perhaps someone that has an empty table will benefit from the venison, if not your family.

Here's what I'd do, since the vehicle is a keeper. Note that when I say "I did" something (like a t-stat), that I have the 5.3, and the component may be in a different place. Also, I don't think anyone would expect you to do *all* of the things I list below (unless you're independently wealthy - and if that's the case, you're probably not so worried about the TB, right?)

Clutch - convert to a Hayden thermal like the pickups use, and say good-bye to the OEM, which continually fails. GM did, after all, at the end of the 360 run. Get someone like Limeswap to tune out the fan codes, and give your LL8 a tune - he charges discount prices for the 4.2L owners. It'll be like you put a new (more powerful) motor in, and this alone may make you feel like everything was worth doing.

Radiator - get one with a *drain* plug if at all possible. HD cooling may not be needed, but try and get something a little better than stock.
All coolant hoses - upper / lower rad, heater send / return.
New t-stat, especially since you're doing the WP.

New serpentine belt, along with idler / tensioner pulleys

If the radiator cap survived - I'd actually *keep* / reuse it as a small 'reminder' of what happened. Test it, if needed (you can rent a tester at the local parts stores.)

Get a trans cooler, and mount it in front of the new A/C condenser. You can decide whether to put it in series with or bypass the cooler in the rad. Doing it in series with a new radiator allows you to use a smaller cooler (the stacked plate ones are the smallest / most efficient for their size.) Your trans will thank you, even though it wasn't harmed by the deer.

Was the A/C marginal last summer? Was the system evac'd as a result of the condenser getting taken out by the deer? A new compressor may be in order.

New Alternator (I know it's low on the 4.2L, and a pain to get out, normally.

How are those power steering hoses? If original, check carefully for wear (the wear spot tends to be toward the back, but the forward connection points for the hoses may be easier to get to now, at the pump & rack.

Body:
Is your TB an LS, or an LT? If you have an LS, and want the LT-style front, fogs, etc. - now's the time to get those parts. DRL deletes? '6-high' / HID / LED conversions? Now's the time, when you have plenty of room to work / plan out the connections.

Finally...if this is a road you frequent...perhaps a good brush guard for 'the next deer'. Don't bother with a small 'bull bar', etc. - as someone mentioned here a while back, those are damage *multipliers*.

There are probably some sensors the 4.2L has up front on the motor, that I'm not aware of. Pay attention to any advice on these from 4.2L owners.

Any suspension parts nearby (sway bar, bushings, end links, etc.) are game, as well as anything touched while doing the end links (tie rod outers / inners, etc.)

In short, and especially if your TB has a bunch of miles on it - whatever is easier to get to now, do it now. When I had to do my OEM electro-viscous clutch, and converted to a thermal, I replaced WP, t-stat, hoses, alternator, belts, pulleys, because I was either removing it to get to the clutch, or it was right there after the clutch. Spent a little $, but I know (hope) I'm good for the next 100K miles on the truck (w/ regard to those parts, at least)

Chilly

Original poster
Jan 16, 2016
Idaho
Wow, thanks for the replies - and the list of upgrades, etc. I'll see if the body shop has a picture. It was towed directly to the shop. I was just leaving town and 30 miles from home on a week-long, 2500 mile round trip to visit my elderly father. I continued on my trip and the body shop took it all apart so they could give the insurance company an estimate, which amounted to almost $6000.

My insurance company decided to total the vehicle, so I went for a salvage title and after the buyback walked away with a little over $5K. I paid the body shop for a new hood with paint to match, and for some of their time in tearing it down for me. The rest of the body, including the front quarter panels, is almost perfect except for the front end parts that the deer took out. So I'll still be money way ahead after I fix it up.

I'm really lucky that the poor ol' deer was just a fawn born this last spring or the damage would have been substantially greater. It ran out of the weeds on the RH side of the highway in broad daylight and I had not time to react at all. The carcass would up 10 feet off the left shoulder of the highway (slight RH curve). Nobody hurt. Not even the air bag deployed.

I appreciate your ideas on the upgrades, especially the brush guard, the lights and the other little stuff I had not thought of, like the drain cock. Deer and elk and even cows are an ever-present problem on our Idaho highways. IF I'd had that brush guard, I would've suffered some damage but probably would have finished the 2500 mile round trip without delay and returning home to get another vehicle. So there was sort of a silver lining in this cloud - the upgrades. Now I just need to get about 250K miles out of her without more trouble and I'll be money way ahead.

Regarding the A/C. It was working really good this last fall. Other than a new condenser, evap/dryer and a good evac, do I really need a new compressor? Well, after thinking about the bearings & seals and how hard it is to reach that thing, I guess maybe so.

I_Shoot_Back

Feb 18, 2018
Ponoka
I don't know how it is around your area but here you can buy a TB with a dead transmission or engine for around 500. I see them all the time,maybe an idea to buy one of those in the correct color for all the parts you will ever need?
I have 4 TB's,two are daily drivers,one is a future turbo/play around with truck and my very first TB I kept for parts. I never have to buy parts :smile:

Chilly

Original poster
Jan 16, 2016
Idaho
I don't know how it is around your area but here you can buy a TB with a dead transmission or engine for around 500. I see them all the time,maybe an idea to buy one of those in the correct color for all the parts you will ever need?

I like the idea. If I can find one, I'd probably do it. But I'd sure be in trouble with the wife. My used car lot is growing all the time, and parking space is limited. She doesn't like vehicles as lawn ornaments, much to my disappointment.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Finally...if this is a road you frequent...perhaps a good brush guard for 'the next deer'. Don't bother with a small 'bull bar', etc. - as someone mentioned here a while back, those are damage *multipliers*.

Unless it bolts to the frame, even the brush guards are useless. Only Waag ever made one for the TB family and they are impossible to find. Your only choice at this stage would be an MDB bumper like mine. He does several different styles and you can hit him up on Facebook or see his post here: http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2883

Attachments

• fog lights.jpg
    fog lights.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 7

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Reactions: Matt

Chilly

Original poster
Jan 16, 2016
Idaho
Unless it bolts to the frame, even the brush guards are useless. Only Waag ever made one for the TB family and they are impossible to find. Your only choice at this stage would be an MDB bumper like mine. He does several different styles and you can hit him up on Facebook or see his post here: http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2883
Those are awesome. Definitely like the look of the lift and the full tube guard!

Reactions: Matt

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Back to my library of pictures of rare TrailBlazer parts! A wrecked Waag guard:
View attachment 86832
It's Waag or nuthin'.

You are *such* a tease, you know that? :rotfl:
I'm actually sitting here thinking... "gee, could that be straightened, somehow?" :duh:

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
You are *such* a tease, you know that? :rotfl:
I'm actually sitting here thinking... "gee, could that be straightened, somehow?" :duh:
They wanted $45 for it. I stood there for a while debating it. I still kick myself for not doing it...
I was in college then and just didn't have the time or money to fix it. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! I'll never see another one again.

I learned my lesson last year when I found a wrecked North Face lol.

Alas, I'll have an MDB on it once it comes time to retire it from daily driving.

Chilly

Original poster
Jan 16, 2016
Idaho
One last question guys. What about the harmonic balancer/crank pulley? Mine looks OK. But are they much prone to failure on the 4.2? Or are they usually good for at least 2-300K miles? I see the AC Delco replaceent on Amazon at $55 bucks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There have been a couple of documented failures but it's not a regular occurrence.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online