hissing/rattling sound, need help.

ecristobal10

Original poster
Mar 25, 2014
Every time I Rev the car I hear a hissing sound coming from the front more to the right side of the car. It happens while I drive only, if the car is parked and I accelerate it doesnt happen. And some times it gets bad, it kinda sounds like a farting noise but only sometimes. Thought it was the exhaust, changed it. Thought it was the cat, changed it. same with fan clutch, transmission fluid. I don't know what else it can be.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
The fact that it's only happening in drive makes pinpointing more difficult, but potentially easier to diagnose.

Are you 100% certain there is no way to get the symptoms to reproduce in any gear other than a forward or reverse gear? What about with the parking brake set, and a light (AND I MEAN LIGHT!!!!) tap of the accel pedal? When I think hissing, I think something involving vacuum right away.

It would be immensely helpful to know what year and engine you have, if you could take a moment and fill out your profile.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Is the upstream O2 sensor installed fully or possibly cracked?

Does the noise go away if you unplug the vacuum hose to the brake booster? Careful driving though but also be sure to plug the hose with a large bolt or something.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elderlyburban

Members Online