SOLVED! high beams turn on by themselves ?

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
my lows work normal, but the past week my highs turned on on their own with the stalk in the low beam position. yes , my new crv has auto high beams.... but i doubt this thing does 05 ext lt. ive searched and seacrhed and can not find anything , only people who have the lows stop working. any ideas ?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
A few questions: Does the high beam indicator on the cluster come on when this happens? Or can you only tell due to increased light output in front of you? Does this only happen when the low beams are on, or does it also happen during the daytime as well? Does flicking the stalk on/off, turn the high beams off, or are you stuck that way until you shut the truck off and restart?

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
good question especially the first one about the indicator. I suspect that its the daylight running lights "brightening" because of issue with the "night day sensor" in / on the dash.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
yes , my new crv has auto high beams.... but i doubt this thing does 05 ext lt.
Auto High Beams have been around for a LONG time. since mid 70's.

If the auto headlight sensor doesnt fix the problem, this is a common problem on the GMT250 series (Aztek/Rendezvous), and it usually relates to the turn signal stalk, although the issue is different. On the GMT250 series, it usually relates to using the turn signal.

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
high beam indicator doesn't illuminate until i flick the stalk to turn them off , drl's and low works normal , it is definitely highs coming on ( my headlights are so clouded my lows are worthless for my visibility. Next project. Luckily my eyes are decent enough and NYC street light compensates. I use my highs on back streets when needed ) not sure about daytime , my commute doesn't see much daylight with the clocks changed now

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could be the relay if the internal return spring is weak or broken. Swap it out with another one that's on something non-critical.

Reactions: mrrsm

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yes, relay number/position will be on the underside of the fuse block cover.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher