HID Relay question.

Filter

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I have read that when our DRLs are on that the headlight is getting about 10v. Not good for a HID system.

Is it possible to have a relay that will close its contact at 10v and not the full 12v?

If this is possible then the HIDs will always be getting full power DRLs or not; because it will be drawing 12v+ directly from the battery.

Thoughts?

jham

Nov 20, 2011
Filter said:
I have read that when our DRLs are on that the headlight is getting about 10v. Not good for a HID system.

Is it possible to have a relay that will close its contact at 10v and not the full 12v?

If this is possible then the HIDs will always be getting full power DRLs or not; because it will be drawing 12v+ directly from the battery.

Thoughts?

isn't that what having the relay doing? When I installed mine the relay was getting hooked right to the battery. The factory wiring was only hooked to it to throw the relay or am I wrong.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
jham said:
isn't that what having the relay doing? When I installed mine the relay was getting hooked right to the battery. The factory wiring was only hooked to it to throw the relay or am I wrong.

The purpose of the relay harness is to protect the headlight wiring. The HID's run higher voltage and can melt the thiner wire of the headlamps.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Filter said:

Thoughts?

As I understand it, the DRL's get 12v, but it is only powered 70% of the time.

Kind of like rapidly flipping a switch ON and OFF.

I have the harness, but the relay would buzz, because of the ON/OFF cycle of the DRL.

After the capacitor mod, the buzzing stopped.

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
An easy plug n play method to do the cap mod is to use 9006_DRL_MODULE . These plug in just before the relay harness.

It's a good solution for the EXT/EL guys who don't have redy access to thier BCM to DIY....

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
06Envoy said:
An easy plug n play method to do the cap mod is to use 9006_DRL_MODULE . These plug in just before the relay harness.

It's a good solution for the EXT/EL guys who don't have redy access to thier BCM to DIY....

Would this solve the buzzing of the ballast or just the buzzing of the relay? I've got a relay harness only for my lows and both ballasts have a low buzz.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Canadian Mike said:
Would this solve the buzzing of the ballast or just the buzzing of the relay? I've got a relay harness only for my lows and both ballasts have a low buzz.

The cap mod will solve the buzzing over all, it will run the drls at 12v 100% of the time so the relay and ballast will be fine, just the life of the bulbs will be shorted due it running more often is all.

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
The cap mod will solve the buzzing over all, it will run the drls at 12v 100% of the time so the relay and ballast will be fine, just the life of the bulbs will be shorted due it running more often is all.

Thanks, I already know about the cap mod. :smile: Just looking for an alternative method and was wondering if the v-leds actually worked.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Canadian Mike said:
Thanks, I already know about the cap mod. :smile: Just looking for an alternative method and was wondering if the v-leds actually worked.

Oh okay got it!! yeah I am curious if it works also because that would be a good idea for me since I do not want to mess with any wiring in the car

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
ItsOnVoy said:
yeah I am curious if it works also because that would be a good idea for me since I do not want to mess with any wiring in the car

They work. I installed one in an 07 and the headlamps had a full 12v signal in drl/perimeter lighting modes.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
MAY03LT said:
They work. I installed one in an 07 and the headlamps had a full 12v signal in drl/perimeter lighting modes.

Is that site trustable? I usually only buy from ebay and thats it lol

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
ItsOnVoy said:
Is that site trustable? I usually only buy from ebay and thats it lol

I bought the LED reverse lights from them a long time ago, so I'd say absolutely.

I forgot to mention that if you have a relay harness, you only need one. If, for whatever reason, you don't have a relay harness, then you need one per side.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
MAY03LT said:
I bought the LED reverse lights from them a long time ago, so I'd say absolutely.

I forgot to mention that if you have a relay harness, you only need one. If, for whatever reason, you don't have a relay harness, then you need one per side.

Yes I have a relay harness hooked up, so if I get this right, this will make my DRL's run at 100% power so they do not harm the ballast or the relay right? Just the life of the bulb is shortened since they are running more often?

Really only one? So would I just hook it up to the driver side and the passenger would work also? How does that work?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
ItsOnVoy said:
Yes I have a relay harness hooked up, so if I get this right, this will make my DRL's run at 100% power so they do not harm the ballast or the relay right?

This will give the relay input 100% power and the relay/ballasts won't buzz in drl/perimeter modes.

ItsOnVoy said:
Just the life of the bulb is shortened since they are running more often?

Yeah since the low beams will be on pretty much all the time.

ItsOnVoy said:
Really only one? So would I just hook it up to the driver side and the passenger would work also? How does that work?

Your relay harness should have one 9006 input that plugs into the drivers side low beam connector. The drivers side low beam connector is what will have the 80% PWM duty cycle in drl/perimeter lighting modes. What that module will do is "modify" that PWM signal into a full 12v signal BEFORE it gets to the relay.

It would be inline like this:

Drivers low beam 9006 connector ===== VLED MODULE ===== relay harness 9006 input

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
MAY03LT said:
This will give the relay input 100% power and the relay/ballasts won't buzz in drl/perimeter modes.

Which will save the life of the relay/ballast so they can be reused right? Because I know that the 70% power kills the relay and ballast after sometime and they have to be replaced...or am I wrong on that?

MAY03LT said:
Your relay harness should have one 9006 input that plugs into the drivers side low beam connector. The drivers side low beam connector is what will have the 80% PWM duty cycle in drl/perimeter lighting modes. What that module will do is "modify" that PWM signal into a full 12v signal BEFORE it gets to the relay.

It would be inline like this:

Drivers low beam 9006 connector ===== VLED MODULE ===== relay harness 9006 input

Thats perfect thank you for the help! :smile: I will be making that purchase quite soon to fix that problem! :thumbsup:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
ItsOnVoy said:
Which will save the life of the relay/ballast so they can be reused right? Because I know that the 70% power kills the relay and ballast after sometime and they have to be replaced...or am I wrong on that?

Yeah man long term it will shorten the life. Short term would be the relay chatter/ ballast buzz along with the one or both lights flickering or not working in drl/perimeter modes.

Thats perfect thank you for the help! :smile: I will be making that purchase quite soon to fix that problem! :thumbsup:

Cool, let us know the results!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
So I connect it right between these right? That is from my relay to the factory harness

PhotoJun2434850PM.jpg

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Hate to dig this up however I have a question about the cap mod. Ok as I understand things the capacitor or vled module would go on the positive wire between the factory harness and the relay harness for the HIDs correct? Anyone know of of a module similar to the vled unit since it seems to be discontinued or what size of capacitor is needed if it were to be integrated into a custom relay harness?

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Darkrider_LS said:
Hate to dig this up however I have a question about the cap mod. Ok as I understand things the capacitor or vled module would go on the positive wire between the factory harness and the relay harness for the HIDs correct? Anyone know of of a module similar to the vled unit since it seems to be discontinued or what size of capacitor is needed if it were to be integrated into a custom relay harness?

If you are willing to tap into the bcm harness, the mod is ridiculously easy (as long as you don't have an ext). I literally did it in about 5 minutes using this capacitor from radio shack, some spare wire, and a couple of wire taps. 10µf 50V Axial-Lead Electrolytic Capacitor | RadioShack.com

Here's a thread on the OS with exact instructions and good pictures.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=64575

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
dcmtnbkr said:
If you are willing to tap into the bcm harness, the mod is ridiculously easy (as long as you don't have an ext). I literally did it in about 5 minutes using this capacitor from radio shack, some spare wire, and a couple of wire taps. 10µf 50V Axial-Lead Electrolytic Capacitor | RadioShack.com

Here's a thread on the OS with exact instructions and good pictures.

DRL Capacitor Mod - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Hmmmm i was looking at this or doing a DRL killer...so either one works...I seen one method of doing the DRL killer that allows my auto headlights to work still. But as i understood this cap mod...take capacitor solder it between two pieces of wire, Tap the wire on the positive end of the capacitor into the BCM wire and the other end bolted directly to ground. Am i understanding this correctly? And this will allow everything to function as normal other then the fact that the DRLs are now 100% power/cycle rather then the pulsing it does from factory?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Darkrider_LS said:
Am i understanding this correctly? And this will allow everything to function as normal other then the fact that the DRLs are now 100% power/cycle rather then the pulsing it does from factory?

Yes and yes.:yes:

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Darkrider_LS said:
Hmmmm i was looking at this or doing a DRL killer...so either one works...I seen one method of doing the DRL killer that allows my auto headlights to work still. But as i understood this cap mod...take capacitor solder it between two pieces of wire, Tap the wire on the positive end of the capacitor into the BCM wire and the other end bolted directly to ground. Am i understanding this correctly? And this will allow everything to function as normal other then the fact that the DRLs are now 100% power/cycle rather then the pulsing it does from factory?

That is exactly correct. It's crazy easy to do on a SWB (pain in the freaking arse on an extended)

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
MAY03LT said:
Yes and yes.:yes:

Awesome! Ironically enough i watched your DRL killer vid on youtube last night. Im thinking i may try the cap mod first and eventually do the DRL killer the same way you did later on to have quad headlights on high beam. :thumbsup:

dcmtnbkr said:
That is exactly correct. It's crazy easy to do on a SWB (pain in the freaking arse on an extended)

Awesome! Yea this is one of those times im glad i have a SWB.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online