Hid help

nismo0886

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Need help figuring this out. I bought the hid kit from ddm with the relay harness and when i got done connecting everything only the passengers side came on and after about a minute it went out. After checking everything i found both fuses for the low beams had blown. Did i hook up the relay harness wrong? Is the positive the one that has the fuse on it and the ground the one that doesnt. I ended up just putting the stock halogen lights back on since it was getting to dark out. I will attempt again in the morning any help will be appreciated.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
nismo0886 said:
Need help figuring this out. I bought the hid kit from ddm with the relay harness and when i got done connecting everything only the passengers side came on and after about a minute it went out. After checking everything i found both fuses for the low beams had blown. Did i hook up the relay harness wrong? Is the positive the one that has the fuse on it and the ground the one that doesnt. I ended up just putting the stock halogen lights back on since it was getting to dark out. I will attempt again in the morning any help will be appreciated.

dang.. seems like alot of people are having HID issues lately.. there is another thread on here about issues, slightly different then yours... have you done anything in the terms of a DRL killer, or the Cap Mod? Or are you just hooking your HID's up?.. also a place to start would be the polarity of the connections... and you are correct.. the ground of the relay harness is just a wire (black) with a ring terminal on it.. and the positive is usually red, with the inline fuse on it..

nismo0886

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I havent done the drl killer i was going to do the cap mod. When i connected the relay harness the positive side with the fuse i connected to the bolt on the red harness on the fuse box and the ground on a bolt on the fender

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i did things slightly different.. but your method is fine as well, my ground went to the fender bolt right next to the fuse block under the hood, and i ran the power to the positive side of my battery

heres a pic if this helps...
2010-11-17214939.jpg

nismo0886

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I have my ground in the same spot the positive terminal on my battery might be to small to hook it up there since it's the oem connection

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The relay harness usually just uses the drivers side headlight connector to control both HID's.

So only the fuse for the Dr. side light would blow. :confused:

nismo0886

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Im gonna try it tomoorrow with out the relay harness first just running off the factory harness

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Wooluf1952 said:
The relay harness usually just uses the drivers side headlight connector to control both HID's.

So only the fuse for the Dr. side light would blow. :confused:

If the OP got his harness from DDM (a pic was posted in another thread) their relay harness is different than the one we're accustomed to seeing. It has inputs on both sides. :confused:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Not exactly sure if there's something wrong with it or not. The member who bought this one with their DDM kit is having all sorts of issues as well. Blown fuses, issues with relays and such. If you want to get caught up to speed on all the trials and tribulations he went through, look here. If the problems you are having line up with the ones that he's dealing with... Then I hope you have a voltmeter handy...

http://gmtnation.com/f23/high-intensity-discharge-headlights-questions-1036/

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
This is all that I was able to find on the DDMTuning website. Nothing saying what wires are connected to which relay pins :frown:

:offtopic: Bill!! :eek: 2 HID threads for you, in as many days? What is this world coming to!! :poke: :raspberry:

Attachments

• DDMTuning hid wiring harness.jpg
    DDMTuning hid wiring harness.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 10

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
damn.. talk about a bunch of extra crap for a relay harness... no wonder most of use the VVME HID's :rotfl:

nismo0886

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
So i gave it another shot at trying to hook it up again went out and got a batyery bolt extender to run the relay off of that instead and a box of extra fuses. After trying to see if it the polarity was reversed it kept blowing a fuse no matter what way it was connected. I decided to scrap the whole relay harness for now and just run off the oem wiring harness and balast and boom they fire right up. One thing i did notice though was they don't come on in the drl mode i have to actually turn the headlight switch to on. Is this normal without a drl killer or cap mod.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Is your truck in gear, when you're checking for DRL operation? Also, you can try popping the hood and listening for a buzzing noise coming from the ballasts while in drl mode. If they buzz for more than about 5 seconds initially, that means they are getting hit with the pulsed signal of the DRLs. As long as you plan to do the capacitor mod in the near future, you should be fine as far as the ballasts are concerned. The downside to not using a relay harness, is the potential issue of melting the stock low beam harnesses due to their small gauge wiring (only 22 guage) Some have been fine, others have had issues, so it's a crap shoot.

nismo0886

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Yeah I'll probably tackle the cap mod tomorrow the whole thing just pissed me off if this is an issue with ddm's relay will another one from vvme work with the ddm kit seeing as how the other dude was having the same issue with the relay he was using from them also

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yes, any other relay harness will work, as long as the input socket accepts our 9006 low beam plug. I have relay harnesses from Jetttstream. You could also get one off Ebay, or even make your own. :twocents:

nismo0886

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Couldn't find jettstreams site would there be anywhere else to get it from them or ate they no longer in business

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Blckshdw said:
:offtopic: Bill!! :eek: 2 HID threads for you, in as many days? What is this world coming to!! :poke: :raspberry:
The new, gentler Roadie even pokes his head into HID threads now, if it looks as if his look-up skills are needed.

bat-signal.jpg

Blckshdw said:
... small gauge wiring (only 22 guage) ...
I was shocked when I saw that first time also. 22 AWG for HEADLIGHTS!?!?!?!?!! (Actually the ground is 0.5mm or 20 AWG). What were they THINKING!?!?!?! :hissyfit:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Blckshdw said:
If the OP got his harness from DDM (a pic was posted in another thread) their relay harness is different than the one we're accustomed to seeing. It has inputs on both sides. :confused:

OK, good to know.

I can see the advantage of dual inputs.

If one side goes out you still have at least one headlight working.

The DDM harness seems to be safer.

You can't drive at night because you don't have any headlights. :rotfl:

nismo0886

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
OK, good to know.

I can see the advantage of dual inputs.

If one side goes out you still have at least one headlight working.

The DDM harness seems to be safer.

You can't drive at night because you don't have any headlights. :rotfl:

Or you can just turn on your high beams to get home

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Blckshdw said:
It has inputs on both sides. :confused:

Yeah, somethings not right here:undecided:

nismo0886 said:
Thats the exact one that i got. Is there something wrong with it

Are you plugging in both inputs? Meaning plugging both stock low beam connectors into the relay harness?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
nismo0886 said:
Or you can just turn on your high beams to get home

That's what I had to do when the fuse holder on my harness melted.

nismo0886

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
MAY03LT said:
Yeah, somethings not right here:undecided:

Are you plugging in both inputs? Meaning plugging both stock low beam connectors into the relay harness?

Yeah thats what i was doing.

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
Well I have the HID kit from DDM tuning also. Relay and the whole kit. And I installed the Harness today. And it worked well. Did you check the polarity for all your connections? The first time i tried it one side only came on due to the fact that i blew out the fuse. Not sure if i helped.:undecided:

IAFF78

Dec 29, 2011
I'm a little late to the party, sorry. Check to make sure you have a good ground for the wire harness. Make sure you disconnect the battery before you install the harness. Flip flop the plugs around from the harness to the HID's and ballast.

I was in the same boat as you but in a deeper lake. I took that F'n harness and threw it into my scrap wire pile. I'll prolly use it for something down the road. You do need a harness of some sorts. Check ebay, they usually have good deals.

Kevin

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I dont see how he could be hooking the wires up backwards. The sockets on my VVME were slotted, so there was no hooking it up backwards. Either hooking it up right, or not at all..

Another bump for VVME!

nismo0886

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
After a month of shitty freezing weather it was warm enough to where I wouldn't get frostbite while installing the relay harness again. What I was doing wrong was the relay harness has an input for the factory harness on each side and I was connecting both rather than just the drivers side. They work fine now also while I was at it I ordered the drl module from v-leds will try that out for a while see how it works thanks for all the help guys

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
nismo0886 said:
What I was doing wrong was the relay harness has an input for the factory harness on each side and I was connecting both rather than just the drivers side. They work fine now...

Awesome. Thanks for posting the fix!:cool:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online