Hi mount third brake light panel/ lift gate upper molding

Bbark1987

Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Hello

I'm trying to confirm a part number for the upper lift gate panel. The problem I'm having is which panel to choose. My problem is that the original neon brake light in my 2002 trailblazer LS burnt out so I replaced it with the only available option, the led light. I was told that I would need the new molding that is intended for that brake light, but choose not to buy it at the time. Now over the winter I had ice build up on my lift gate and the part broke when opening the rear hatch. So can I still buy the 2002 first generation molding or do I need the second generation molding for the new led light.

Thanks!!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
As far as I know, they are all the same except between the short wheelbase and long EXT. In fact, I replaced my neon (or CCFL) brake light with an clear LED version from an Avalanche on my '02 EXT. There was no difference between the CCFL and the LED lights as far as mounting in the panel (excpt for wiring in my case) and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to move it over to my Saab.

I hope you're not trying to buy a new one as I'm sure it will be expensive compared to a good used one from a yard.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Bbark1987

Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Thanks for the info

Yea I'm trying to get a used one. They have an 04 TB at my local yard but I wanted to be sure the piece would fit before going to et it today. I would never pay $200 for a plastic piece haha

Freddy G.

Dec 4, 2011
I have had another issue relating to this topic. I helped a buddy move one evening and put a box spring and mattress on my roof rack and forgetting it was in the way, I opened the lift gate and cracked the whole plastic piece and broke the light out. Over time living here in Florida, it has become so dry rotted I can easily push my finger thru it. Does anyone have a part number?

Attachments

• 20150316_110734_resized.jpg
    20150316_110734_resized.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 34

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I believe all of the SWB ones are interchangeable with each other, and the Voy XL and TB EXTs are interchangeable with each other.

bmcutright

Apr 15, 2014
How easy is it to replace or repair this part, and what is it called? Mine has been forced upward because of catching ice/snow from the roof, now my rear door won't open without breaking it off. The newer LED light would be nice, but as long as I have a working CHMSL I don't care which. 04 TB LS 4x4 Silver, now in Chicago.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When I removed mine, the screws were corroded in the inserts in the plastic and broke. I had to JBWeld them back in. The lower part is held down to the glass with double sided body tape.

l008com

Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I have a question about this same part. Mine is mounted fine, it's problem is that the paint and clear coat are peeling off like crazy, even though the rest of the truck looks totally fine.

TvVUZSy.jpg

Glad to know any SWB part will fit. Now, what do you guys know about colors? Specifically, these days it seems like very model year, they have slightly different versions of the same base colors. Is that the same deal with the trailblazer or would it be the same every year? I don't want to eyeball a part that turns out to not match when I get home with it.

ALSO for those of you that got one from a junk yard, what did you pay? Just trying to get an idea of the price.

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Mine broke a while ago because it needed painting and it broke while off since it's so brittle. The prices I've seen for them used are insane and I refuse to pay that for an equally brittle part. However, the panel from a Envoy, Ascender, Bravada and Buick Rainier SWB will not fit. The outer ends where to meets the pillar is different. The Trailblazer and Saab SWB ones are longer as it does not fit between the rear pillar panels like the others.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Mine is mounted fine, it's problem is that the paint and clear coat are peeling off like crazy, even though the rest of the truck looks totally fine.

If yours is fine from a structural standpoint, why not just have the part repainted?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online