Hi Everyone! New member from upstate NY.

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Hi All,

My name is George and I have just joined the forum. I found my way here from the other site which seemed very dead. Glad I did because this place seems to be alive and kicking!

I was a long time member of the b body scene which for those of you who do not know are 91-96 Caprices, Impalas, Roadmasters, Oldsmobile Custom Cruisers, and Fleetwoods. I was the proud owner of 2 95 9C1s (police package equipped Caprices), a 96 9C1, and a 95 Fleetwood. I was fairly heavily involved in the mod scene and spent a ton of time on the message boards. I loved the fact that there were so many mods available to set myself apart from the others.

The big rear drive sedans have all left my fleet and I find myself missing them. I wanted to step up to something newer with more creature comforts. I have been searching online and I have stumbled across the Trailblazer. I found these forums and was very pleased to see that there was a thriving community of enthusiasts.

I have been looking at a 2004 Trailblazer EXT LT with the 4.3 I6. It is a beautiful ruby red with black leather interior. Fully loaded. I really have no experience with these vehicles and I was hoping to get some information on their strong and weak points. What are the gotchas to look for? What kind of mileage can I expect out of these vehicles? Not gas mileage, longevity wise.

My budget does not afford me the luxury of a low mileage SUV. I am looking in the $6000 range and I have found the 2004 I mentioned about with 135,000 miles at a small, independent user car dealer. KBB book value shows it is a fair deal but I was looking to get some input for actual owners and enthusiasts.

Any information, suggestions, ideas or input are greatly appreciated! I hope that his topic is in the correct forum. Please feel free to move it if this is not the right spot. Thank you all for the time and I look forward to spending many hours on these board! Have a great afternoon!

Respectfully,

George D.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Welcome to the Nation!
Glad you found your way over here from that desert. This is a great platform. You can go many routes depending on your taste and it'll fill that role whether it be an off road, street, lil more than stock, or etc. kind of build.
Here's some FAQ's about GMT360's that are the most common:
http://www.gmtnation.com/forums/threads/faq-about-your-vehicle-start-here.681/

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to the Nation! You wanna talk mods, this is the place!

Do you really need 7 seats? I have an EXT and after driving my 5 seater 9-7x all summer, I find this thing is like driving a bus. The I6 is a bit more of a dog with that extra weight but then I have a V8 in my other truck. Bt then the EXT has lots of cargo room with the seats down. Seats up, the rear cargo area is actually smaller.

Although there could be a difference between the US and Canadian markets, I find $6000 for a 2004 a bit much unless it's low mileage and very clean.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
Welcome :tiphat:
have to agree w/ Mooseman. sounds a bit much for an 04 w/ 135K
sold my 03 EXT in 09 w/ 75 K for 7500.00 (KBB trade in value) to a business assoc. if you can beat them down a bit might be a better value. :twocents:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
As far as longevity, if it helps any my 02 has 213k on it and runs like a top. Maintained properly they typically last a long time.

Reactions: Capote

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Price does seem high for the year and mileage, but maybe the 370s hold their value better than the 360s :undecided: Also, the EXT you are looking at will have a 4.2L, not a 4.3L just so you are aware. If you do not need the extra seating, I would look into the 360s and see what you can get for your price range. Definitely try to find out the maintenance history on the vehicle which will give you a starting base line. Test out the 4wd drive if equipped and if you have an ELM327, I would check to see if there are any codes stored that might have been cleared without being repaired.

Mileage wise, I bought my 360 with 15,000 miles in 2008, now I am over 165,000 miles. As with any vehicle, following a preventive maintenance schedule will help the vehicle stay on the road for many years.

Welcome to the Nation :tiphat:

Last edited:

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Welcome to the Nation! This is a great site, full of helpful members ready to assist when they can.

Enjoy a TB once you find the best one for you!

Not mentioned yet:
Before you buy, make sure you hear when the trans case and differential fluids were replaced. Let them tell you when, don't ask if they were replaced at 50K and 100K intervals, respectively, like they should have been.

Good luck!

Reactions: Capote

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Thank you all for the warm welcome! So what do you folks think a fair price for this TB would be? 2004 EXT LT 142,929 Ruby red with black leather. Photos look very clean but I have not seen it in person yet. I will keep everyone in the loop!

Again, thank you all and have a very happy and safe New Years!

PS: Is there a way to subscribe to a topic? Most of the message boards I am a member have a setting to alert me instantly by email of replies. I got one for the initial reply to the post but not for any of the others.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You should be able to turn on email notifications in your preferences.

For your specific question, you should start a new thread in case some people don't read intro threads.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Welcome to the fray

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online