Hey y'all

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Shoot I think it has been a year since I checked in last. I've got a new daily driver and the truck has mostly sat for the last year. 3rd and 4th gears still don't work, but I can still putt-putt around in "2". I won't have the money to throw at transmission work for a while, but there's no shortage of other work that needs to be done in the meantime.

Anyway, howdy.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Thinking of rebuilding that trans or just replacing?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
:bump:

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Thinking of rebuilding that trans or just replacing?
Sorry it took me a minute to get back. At the same time the truck has been sitting for 15 months I have been aggressively training to upgrade my IT skill set, which finally paid off in terms of a new job and a nice income bump. And now I finally have time where I'm not working all day and studying all evening, and can work on the truck a little.

I would give rebuilding a shot, for shits and grins, but I don't see it happening. Even removing and replacing is one too far for me. I did the valve body, but I can't lift the truck high enough to get the whole transmission out, between not having those tools and not being sure I wouldn't hit the garage cross beams.

Wait! I just thought of this! Maybe if I put in the lift kit now, I could get the transmission out of there! I'll have plenty of room! Or maybe not.

And even if I could, I don't know that I can justify buying the tools to save the labor on this one. I've got lots of uses for torque wrenches, but I have to say I hope not to use a transmission jack very often.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
But you could use a regular one and be careful could you not?

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
But you could use a regular one and be careful could you not?
I'll bet you could. Whether or not I could, well that's another question.
For realz I think my excuses are just an attempt to mask the reality that I think I don't want to try. I am more than a little daunted by the procedure.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I'll bet you could. Whether or not I could, well that's another question.
For realz I think my excuses are just an attempt to mask the reality that I think I don't want to try. I am more than a little daunted by the procedure.
I've used a normal jack all the times me and my bud removed the trans , but it is kind of sketchy and dangerous using a normal one on your own whilst trying to balance the transmission.

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
I've used a normal jack all the times me and my bud removed the trans , but it is kind of sketchy and dangerous using a normal one on your own whilst trying to balance the transmission.

I bought a transmission jack.

I think I'm doing this next weekend.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online