Here is an interesting stalling problem.....

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I was coming home...driving angry and had my foot in the pedal. Got to @ 70 in 2nd...yeah, not that impressive. I let my foot off to down shift and to coast to a reasonable speed. It was at that time the engine shut itself off. I don't quite remember the RPMs. I thought it was really odd and I got incredibly nervous as I slowed while reaching the crest of the bridge I was on. I coasted safely to the other side, pulled over, parked, and started it with no problem. Everything seemed perfectly fine. Not sure if this is something to be concerned about or not. And i will say this particular problem is something I have not read about in 5 years on these forums.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
smitty5150 said:
I was coming home...driving angry and had my foot in the pedal. Got to @ 70 in 2nd...yeah, not that impressive. I let my foot off to down shift and to coast to a reasonable speed. It was at that time the engine shut itself off. I don't quite remember the RPMs. I thought it was really odd and I got incredibly nervous as I slowed while reaching the crest of the bridge I was on. I coasted safely to the other side, pulled over, parked, and started it with no problem. Everything seemed perfectly fine. Not sure if this is something to be concerned about or not. And i will say this particular problem is something I have not read about in 5 years on these forums.

Hard to say but I think we need more data. Could be something like a bad oil pressure switch. Right?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Weird... I wonder what triggered that?

BTW, pop it in neutral while coasting and restart the engine, then pop back in drive.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
My neighbor has an 02-03 TB and she had the same issue. They had a bad oil pressure switch like already stated above, and something to do with the fuel sensor/filter can't remember which one.

Phantom has a weird quirk where on a cold start he idles perfectly normal, but as soon as you hit the gas the RPM's fall to about 300-500RPM's before going up to where it is supposed to be, during one of his episodes it feels like the truck will stall, after he gets up to temp he is fine....sometimes lol I have had him stall on me once because of it, but thankfully it happened while in the parking lot idling during an oil flush. I was told it had to be either the fuel sensor or filter, again I can't remember lol

If you do find out what it is, will you update for us? I am interested in what you find out. I really would hate to take my truck to a mechanic as they all stare at my ass and then try to treat me like i'm stupid. Hubby would take him in if they too didn't try to nickle and dime him. It would cost me $450 for a diagnostic on this issue from a local mechanic. I would hate to see what my dealership would charge me.

Good luck, and glad you made it safely out of your predicament! These trucks as so damn flaky lol

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Sparky said:
Weird... I wonder what triggered that?

BTW, pop it in neutral while coasting and restart the engine, then pop back in drive.

Since the engine stalled under load, I wanted to make sure I was stopped and safely on the shoulder in case something major was wrong.

I never thought about the fuel filter. It's been a hot minute since I replaced it. Probably clogged as shit.

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
smitty5150 said:

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? Mine just did this last night. Came off the interstate, stopped at a stop sign. Hit the gas to start onto the on ramp to state highway and it just died. Put the truck in park and turned the key off. Tried to start it again and got nothing. Turned key off and let it sit for a few minutes and it started/ran just fine. Only code showing is thermostat (P0128?) Fuel filter was "supposedly" replaced when the dealer did the TSB on the rusting gas tank.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
If it stalled coming off idle, normally I would suggest the throttle body needs to be cleaned; however,
mapanch said:
Tried to start it again and got nothing.
This leads me to think the ignition switch has decided to take a hike.

Change the ignition switch ($30) and see if it continues.

BTW, after the switch has been changed, and everything is working fine, give the tb a cleaning, it probably needs it

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
RayVoy said:
If it stalled coming off idle, normally I would suggest the throttle body needs to be cleaned; however,
This leads me to think the ignition switch has decided to take a hike.

Change the ignition switch ($30) and see if it continues.

BTW, after the switch has been changed, and everything is working fine, give the tb a cleaning, it probably needs it

That was my first thought, ignition switch. Any particular one or does it not matter? Seems to be these truck are finicky with some parts. Suppose when I have the battery disconnected for the ignition switch, just tackle the tb at the same time.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
mapanch said:
Tried to start it again and got nothing.
There are various levels of "nothing" and they each mean something. Interior lights or not? Dash lights or not? Headlights or not? A click of the starter relay or not when you turn to the START position?

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
the roadie said:
There are various levels of "nothing" and they each mean something. Interior lights or not? Dash lights or not? Headlights or not? A click of the starter relay or not when you turn to the START position?

Didn't notice if there were headlights or not. Dash lights were on. Didn't notice if there was a click of the starter or not. Didn't think to listen for it :frown: I failed Roadie diagnostic classes. LOL. It was after midnight and I had been up all day and was less than 1/4 mile from home. Wanted to get into bed and get to sleep.

TB is due in the near future. Did it around 25k ago. 86,600 ish on the truck now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online