NEED HELP Help With Transmission Problems

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
So my 4L60E is a recent rebuild. It has around 2,500 miles on it. I am not sure what to do here. It began to shift funny on Friday night. So yesterday a friend and myself put a new 1-2 solenoid in it, which fixed it enough for me to drive home and to Dunkin' Donuts this morning without having to shift it manually, which it does fine.

Here's the issue. When I put it in drive and begin from a dead stop, it struggles to accelerate until around 2k RPM. The truck also has no 4th or OD. I replaced the 1-2 Solenoid and it did fix it, for one trip home. There are no codes, and the truck is otherwise mechanically sound.

Please help.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The easy answer would be to take it back to the rebuilder. He should know what's what and should cover it under warranty.

Any codes?

Reactions: Mounce

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Guessing you're in 'limp' mode, and it's starting in 3rd (remember, 3rd is the only gear that requires no 'e' from the 4L60e)

Time for some more troubleshooting...

First, before we get into wiring, fuses, etc. -

- What exactly was or wasn't replaced on this rebuild? While you apparently have no recourse, you should be able to get a straight answer out of the builder. New torque converter? Band ? Clutches / steels ? Gaskets ? etc. ?

Depending on how tactful you are in your conversation with him, he may actually take a look for you - if I took $ to rebuild a trans, I'd be embarrassed to find out the thing failed 2500mi later. Actually, I'd be embarrassed even if I *didn't* take payment, but if I told the client beforehand that I 'kinda knew what I was doing', then his eyes were open when he had me rebuild it.

If he wants more $ to work on it further, then you get to decide if he should be going into it again for you. I'm not going to advise one way or the other, as there are pros / cons to both.

- How's the fluid level / condition? Was a good fluid used? Was it a certified / licensed Dexron VI (non-GM is OK), or some 'universal' fluid?

- Fuse check. Find out which fuses / relays control the transmission (hint: '47' in the 2nd row floor box would be a good place to start), and check that they're OK (with the key 'on'). If you replace, the truck drives OK, and then goes out again, find out where your electrical short is.

- You could swap solenoid 'B' into the 'A' slot, and see if the symptoms change. You can even do a 3-way swap, since you have the extra one now. BTW, these aren't known for failing often (so don't expect you got a 'bad' replacement that failed after one drive cycle.)

- While you're under the truck, and fiddling around with the shift solenoids, check the wiring on the in-pan harness, and also on the main harness. When I say 'check', I mean with a multimeter, not just a visual inspection (again, key-on). Is the main harness plug seated properly? Any crud in the plug or the receptacle?

If those things don't solve, and you get no help from the 'builder' - then you're probably going to have to find a new builder, or a replacement trans. BTW, most of what I wrote here, I found on Google; I'm not a trans tech.

Good luck.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online