Help with Steering Angle Sensor?

Black08TB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
Hello Gentlemen, My 08' TrailBlazer has a couple of Codes going on at this moment. 1-Wheel Speed Sensor and 2-Steering Angle Sensor. The Anti-Lock Brake / Traction Control trouble lights are on constantly and I'd like to get this straightened out. I just replaced the front wheel bearings that were going bad and now have ruled out the speed sensors as a result. Does anyone know where the Steering Angle sensor is located on the steering column, or has anyone ever changed one on their own? I'm hearing it's under the steering wheel inside the column, not down near the floor / firewall where it might be easier to get to. Any help is appreciated, thanks,

Mike

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
What brand of wheel hubs were used? Were the connectors properly fastened together, and the wiring inspected for damage on the car-side while you were down there? If they were good old Cheap Chinese eBay specials or Duralasts or something, could very well have a defective unit.

Anything more specific than just "wheel sensor?" Any specific one? I'm pretty sure later models also had sensors for each rear wheel, heck maybe all of them with Stabilitrac do as they'd be needed to function properly.

UPDATE: I found a general location for the steering sensor. "At base of the steering column" according to wiring diagrams.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Item #3 is the sensor.

2jedati.jpg

STEERING WHEEL POSITION SENSOR OR STEERING SHAFT LOWER BEARING
REPLACEMENT
Removal Procedure

1. Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling .
CAUTION: Refer to SIR Caution .
NOTE: The wheels of the vehicle must be straight ahead and the steering column
in the LOCK position before disconnecting the steering column or
intermediate shaft from the steering gear. Failure to do so will cause the
SIR coil assembly to become uncentered, which may cause damage to the
coil assembly.
2. Position the front wheels straight ahead and lock the steering column to prevent rotation of the steering
wheel.
3. Remove the intermediate shaft from the steering column. Refer to Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft
Replacement.
4. Remove the steering wheel position sensor retainer screws (1).
5. Remove the steering wheel position sensor retainer (2) from the base of the steering column.
6. Disconnect the electrical connector from the steering wheel position sensor.
7. Remove the steering wheel position sensor (3) from the steering column.

Installation Procedure
1. Position the steering wheel sensor (3) to the steering column.
2. Position the steering wheel sensor retainer plate (2) to the steering column.
3. Install the steering wheel position sensor retainer screws (1).
Tighten: Tighten the screws to 10 N.m (89 lb in).
4. Remove the steering wheel position sensor anti-rotation pin from the sensor.
5. Connect the electrical connector to the steering wheel position sensor.
6. Install the intermediate shaft to the steering column. Refer to Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft
Replacement.
7. Enable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling .

This looks to be a fairly-involved process.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Hypnotoad said:
That's on getting as far as the clockspring. The images can prove useful in the disassembly process though, though I would also suggest grabbing a copy of our free service manuals available in the Technical Discussion page. The sensor is located pretty much where the column tilts at, as compared to the clockspring where the wheel rotates at.

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
There's another thread going on this sensor, if you can, buy only an AcDelco or GM unit... Dorman can give you problems right out the box...

Black08TB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
I replaced the Nationals (got 30K out of them) with CARQUEST brand wheel bearings, they're a jobber type supply house for the local repair shops. They were priced right about the same as the old ones and I've had good luck with their parts in the past.

I appreciate the diagram, that's a big help! Doesn't look to hard to swap it out.

I'm going to get my friend to scan the truck again to see what code is still there since replacing the wheel bearings last week. The traction control / anti lock trouble lights are still coming on most every time I drive the Blazer still.

If I do the Steering Angle sensor it'll be an AC Delco or GM part for sure, I try to use OEM when possible.

Thanks for the links and comments guys, I do appreciate the help!

Mike

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.