Help with rack and pinion issue

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Hello, I was looking for some help with my new rack and pinion. I removed the old one and put the new one in without issue. The new one came with inner tie rods but I removed them to do the 2500 HD Tie rod upgrade. I'm also lifted with markmc steering extension. My problem is when I took it for the alignment after the install, they said that the rack was installed wrong and that the steering gear was off by about a quarter turn. The mechanic said that he used up all the adjustment he had and that he couldn't align it properly.

So I asked them how to make sure it was correct and they said to take off the steering wheel shaft and move the gear until I could measure the same amount on both sides from the end of the rack to the end of the inner tie rod. Once I have the same measurement, make sure the steering wheel is straight and reconnect the steering wheel shaft. I did all of this and took it back and they said its still wrong.

I'm wondering if either they gave me the wrong info, or if there is a better way to do it, or if the different tie rods caused an issue and they just thought the rack was off. At any rate my alignment is off and my tires are wearing quickly so I need to address this asap. Any info or suggestions would be awesome. Thank you!

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
Just do the alignment yourself. See http://www.c-speedr.com/howto/alignment/alignment.php - it isn't very complicated, and no special tools are required.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
A.j. aka hotness is a pretty smart dude (lol) I am sure he tried getting the alignment done himself as close as he could. We tried getting regulators alignment done by eye , a tape meausurer and a rake and what a pita!! Also tried doing mine after just a tierod replacement and wasn't even close. So I am thinkin after replacing a rack and pinion its gonna take a lil more than doing things by eye and tools layin around at home. My 2cents.

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
silvernclean said:
A.j. aka hotness is a pretty smart dude (lol) I am sure he tried getting the alignment done himself as close as he could. We tried getting regulators alignment done by eye , a tape meausurer and a rake and what a pita!! Also tried doing mine after just a tierod replacement and wasn't even close. So I am thinkin after replacing a rack and pinion its gonna take a lil more than doing things by eye and tools layin around at home. My 2cents.

Sigh... Have you read the link I provided? It is not rocket science.

Here is another method to align your car at home: http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/amc/align.htm - this one is better than the link in my previous post.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

Hotness

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks for the link. I'm more or less looking for a method to center the steering gear but can't find anything. And yes that was fun doing alignment with a rake haha

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramzo358