HELP WITH HONDA GVC160 MOWER ENGINE

flyinghigh1970

Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Georgia
I hope I picked the right off topic place for asking for help.I Googled this question before coming here with it and people are all over the board with the right answer.I have a Honda front wheel drive push mower with the GVC160 engine.I am hooking a tach to the plug wire to adjust the RPMs.I need to know how many times the spark plug fires per revolution to set the tach up.My choices are (1) spark plug fires twice per revolution,(2) spark plug fires once per revolution,(3) spark plug fires every other revolution.I called a Honda service center and there answer was bring it in we will set the RPMs for you and would not give me the answer,:Banghead:.Please don't just say try each setting,someone out there knows the truth:book:.Thanks to any small engine guru that can help me.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Most simple single cylinder 4 strokes have magneto or 'inductive' type ignition systems. So I'd choose option #2. Should tach out around 3600 RPM's.

Reactions: flyinghigh1970

flyinghigh1970

Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Georgia
The tach comes set to default at option(2)plug fires once per revolution.I hooked it up and left it at the default 2 option and its running 3100 RPMs at idle with blade on and no load,so I'm thinking this is the right option.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
+1 --^-- If you watch this Honda Factory Service Technician working on the disassembly of the Transistorized Magneto Induction Coil and Flywheel... you can get a better look at the "split" location present on the Flywheel just after the Magnet passes in front of the Spark Plug Induction Coil confirming @cornchip 's observation. Here is the Honda Lawnmower Owner's Manual in PDF... and the Youtube Video:

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest